ode to technology

So, I'm really not into technology in the same way that lots of people are...I don't watch TV (seriously, if my kids see me in front of the tv, they stop and ask what's going on because I'm probably looking at something on the news), I'm ok with movies but they're few and far between, I don't have time for too many apps, and I don't really play games; however, I appreciate technology in other ways. I love the beauty of a nicely typed document, the creativity of a power point or prezi, a video capturing a special moment, a spreadsheet that adjust to every little change, blogs that let me know the thoughts of others, and even facebook - but just the part about sharing updates and photos- I don't do the games and try to stay out of the drama.

This week, I have gained a great appreciation for something new to me: Google Hangouts. I hear it's been around a while, but I just heard of it a few weeks ago. Floyd's been in Uganda since the middle of last week, so we planned to try this method of communication. At first we were just checking in and offering encouragement to each other. On Mother's Day, we were able to connect at my mom's house and everyone got to chat with him; my mom, dad, grandma, the kids, even little Aidan looked at the screen with complete curiosity.

Today, Floyd and I were on there for what seemed like forever, as he had gathered a lot of info and had to make many decisions in the coming days. Yes, he absolutely could have made the decisions completely on his own and I would have totally accepted that. He's the head of our home and he's the one their on the ground, so he has my complete trust to do what he thinks is best. However, thanks to Google, he was able to send me some videos, photos, and data for review. Then we got on Hangouts and went through all the details. He was able to ask me what my thoughts were on details that he thought I might be more affected by (like where to put the kitchen door or how big of a window to put in the bathroom).

Really, it's totally awesome and I'm grateful for it. Of course, it is also really cool to know that we'll have a way to communicate with our families back here when we are gone. My mom's computer connected with no problem and was crystal clear, so I know that we'll be able to do that from time to time. And the kids know that they can, too. They have never gone very long without seeing my mom, so it will be good for them to video chat with her on occasion. They won't be having their usual weekend at Grandma and Grandpa's, but they also won't be completely cut off.

All in all, technology is just like most anything else. It can be a blessing or a hindrance, depending on how you use it. If you've never tried Google Hangouts and have someone far away that you'd like to connect with, give it a try!

Comments