it's like a flashback in time

This morning, we were trying to leave the house by 8am to head to town for some errands. Lawrence, the night guard for the property, asked me if I could sew his trousers that had ripped. He brought me two pairs, both with ripped seams. I did not want to keep him waiting, so while Floyd loaded the car, I pulled out my machine (fortunately, we had power at the time). It only took about 5-10 minutes to wind a bobbin and sew both pairs of pants and I was glad to be helpful.

Every time I get out my sewing machine, I immediately think of my mom and then my grandma. Grandma went home to the Lord in 2007, but I can't help but think she and I have more in common now. She was a country lady, so she could sew, can, cook from scratch, and do all those things that women used to do. She passed on those skills to my mom and her sisters, and my mom taught my sister and I when we were kids. I've always been grateful for the skills, but they are even more beneficial out here in Uganda where we don't have all the modern conveniences.

On that same topic, every time we pull up to the gate and I have to get out and open it, I think of my grandpa. He also passed away in 2007, but I have so many fond memories with him. Every summer when my siblings and I would go stay with him and Grandma on the farm, we loved helping with the chores. Whether it was giving the pigs injections to fight off some sickness, chasing a stray bull out of the pasture, getting chicken eggs from the hen house, or any other thing, we always had fun. I remember Grandpa driving the same pick-up truck my entire life. I don't know for sure that he did, but I only remember the one white pick-up with a red rood. We loved piling in the back. Whether it was rain or shine, someone always had to get out to open the gate and close it after the truck passed. The same is true here in Uganda. Occassionally, we come at just the right time and Lawrence is already standing with the gate open (the beast is so loud, he can hear her coming from a good distance away), but normally, I have to get out and open the gate.

Anyway, when moving to Uganda I didn't expect to think of my grandparents so much more, but I definitely appreciate it and am thankful for it. The living situation just makes me feel closer to them. It is difficult to explain, but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to communicate. I just feel like my new life is more like their's was, so it brings them to mind so often.

Comments