Arriving home!

The long drive from Kampala to our home in Namyeso was pretty exciting. The city traffic is crazy, but manageable.

The beautiful scenery makes the long part nice.

You may recall that Kapeeka is the last “big” village on the way to our home. It’s where the paved roads end. That’s where we go when we go to town to get supplies. (When we go to the city, we mean the capital. Kapeeka = going to town, Kampala = going to the city.)  Once we got to Kapeeka, Floyd and I split up to complete different tasks. I was getting food and stuff for the house and Floyd was picking up a friend to help him and getting supplies.
Leaving Kapeeka, Floyd got a head start of just a few minutes. That means the kids heard I was on my way. By the time I got to the gate, some of them had already reached there.

While I waited for the gate to be opened, I started recording the amazing greeting. As I drove in, kids were running towards the car and screaming with excitement. Keep in mind that I’m driving with one hand and making sure to be careful that no kids are in the road, so the video is a little shaky, but the memory is worth it!

When I got to the house, the kids had swarmed the car. I had to ask them to scoot back so I could open the door. I stepped out and it was the largest group hug in history! I was amazed that we all managed to stay on our feet. There was a moment or two that I thought we might tumble down.
Once we got the initial hug out of our system, I was greeting individual children and asking them how they were doing. Then different kids brought new children to the front of the crowd to introduce me. It was so fun and so heartwarming!

Even many staff members came out of the offices to greet me. This little one, Faith, seemed to like me right away. In fact, she was right by my side and holding my hand until I finally had to ask another lady who had come to greet me to take her where ever she was supposed to be. Since I had never met her before, I didn’t know where that was, but I wanted to get some photos of Floyd and the guys breaking into the house. 

Comments