For those of you that like details...

We began school on August 13, 2012. This year we have B in 4th, Ty in 5th, F in 6th, Rae in 7th, and Al in 8th grade (according to public school aging; which could be a whole different soap box for me to climb up on but I'll refrain). In reality, they are all kind of mixed up since we just work at each child's pace. One of the many freedoms I enjoy is being able to meet individual needs. When I taught in PS (this will be my way of noting public school) we always talked about "differentiation" (adapting to each child's needs), but it really is just a catch phrase. Don't get me wrong, most teachers do their very best. But just how well can you differentiate with dozens of students, state testing requirements, and limited time restraints?
I'll run through the specifics of our curriculum for this year, for those that may be interested and for the sake of reminiscing in the future. 
We're using Christian Light Publishing for math and Bible. B is using Math and Bible 300, Ty and F are using Math and Bible 400, and Rae and Al are using Bible 600 and Math 700. Rae also very much enjoys Life of Fred, so she's working through LOF Fractions right now. I am very glad that I stumbled upon CLP's math last year. Since switching to the program I've seen significant improvement in all the children and they've been able to keep a routine. It is very independent, even for my two with dyslexia and other setbacks. Although it is a consumable, it is relatively low priced (less than $40 for a year's course with answer guides). Also, I love that it is Christian based with added little snippets of scripture, stories, and details throughout. Also, for those who are globally minded, it uses both the metric and standard system throughout all grade levels. This is very beneficial, as most countries use the metric system. 
For science, Rae and Al are both in Exploring Creation through General Science from Apologia. Apologia is a very challenging curriculum but is done independently. Obviously, it is taught from a Creation viewpoint, but I personally appreciate that the kids are still exposed to other theories. I don't want them to step out into the world and be blind-sided by other ideas. This could lead them into a path of destruction because they might feel that things were purposely hidden from them or that they received a lesser education. I want them to know the differences and have convicting beliefs about what is truth and what isn't. Don't worry though, the course is for a student in at least 7th grade, so it's not giving young children information that they aren't ready to digest. 
B, Ty, and F are all working with me through Considering God's Creation. It is a big overview of all different aspects of science. In fact, I don't think I could concisely list all of the things it covers. I'll just say that if you need something to do for science and haven't gone through this book, jump on it. It is fabulous. Just for records sake, once we get to the human body section, we'll also be going through Lyrical Life Science's anatomy book.
For History, Geography, and Bible (yes, we do more than one thing for Bible), we're using Simply Charlotte Mason's (SCM) History Module 1 Guide: Genesis to Deuteronomy & Ancient Egypt. I really love how it ties everything together in such a simple way.
For Grammar, I am using Analytical Grammar with Rae & Al. I'm enjoying the program so far. It is very simple, not too time consuming, and gets the subject done. I like the set up of the binder. I do not appreciate that the review book costs $20-it isn't even a quarter-inch thick and it isn't reproducible. For such a price, I would think the company could allow copies in the immediate family. It only provides one worksheet every 2 weeks, so you really aren't getting much for the $20. The binder for the primary portion of the course is $50 and is not reproducible, so the company is still getting money from the families that use it. (That's just my $0.02.)
In addition to all that, we do quite a bit of stuff during our family time. We do scripture memory, hymn study, poetry, personal development, and work on thinking more globally and missionally. 
For poetry, we've started this year with Robert Louis Stevenson. We'll read poems by him for 6 weeks. The 7th week, each child will choose their favorite poem, memorize it, make it their own, and "perform" it for the rest of us.
For scripture memory, I use the system found on SCM's website but I've adapted an app on the Ipad to make it easier on myself. (The directions for this can be found in the discussion forum on their site. A fellow mom posted it sometime last year.) 
For personal development, we're using Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Stephen, and Grace Mally. When we finish it, I'll let you know what comes next. 
We use the time line cards from Veritas Press to memorize major events of history. Having a mental timeline allows you to put things in context historically. It is easier to make connections when something new is heard. We add 5 events a week. I share the description, then the children choose some sort of motion or pose to go with each event. Then they recite the time line, beginning with creation, putting together all the movements. It is actually quite entertaining.
To help us think missionally, I'm currently reading aloud stories from "50 People Every Christian Should Know." It contains short biographies of people spanning several centuries. I also like the biographies from YWAM Publishing. Sharing stories of missionaries brings about all sorts of emotions and is a great way to demonstrate the truth-God called us to know Him and make Him known to all the world. We must not miss that calling. 
To help us think globally (and missionally), we use Operation World. Each week, we choose one country to study and lift up in prayer. In the past, we would pick a different country each day. It was very random and didn't really make a true mental connection. I wanted the impact to be greater this year, both the impact of prayer but also the impact on our minds and our hearts. Since we're studying the continent of Africa (because we're studying Ancient Egypt and Egypt is in Africa), we are systematically covering Africa in prayer. We began with Egypt and we'll move across the country. Since Africa has 54 countries, it will take more than a year but I know we can do it. We locate the country on the map, read about it, watch videos (if available), and lift it up in prayer. We pray for both specific needs and for the people and country in general. 
For hymn study I primarily use youtube because I can find videos with the lyrics and we can sing along. I also use a book that a wonderful friend gave me called, Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories by Robert J. Morgan. The hymn is printed like it would be in an old hymnal. The background story of each hymn is also given. It is wonderful.
A few more small things: we use Mavis Beacon for typing, Spelling Plus, Spelling Wisdom (for prepared dictation), and I read a book aloud to everyone just for enjoyment. I pick a chapter book that I think everyone will enjoy and we just read a chapter or two at a time. For art, we're using World's Greatest Artists Unit Studies, Vol. 1 from www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com.
As you can imagine, we do lots of other random things, both big and small, but you've got the main idea. We typically start with exercise around 7:45/8am, then begin family time around 8:30/8:45. The kids have periods of independent time throughout the day. Depending on their diligence and focus, they finish anywhere between 2pm & 3:30pm. It also depends on how many times/how long they break to play outside and release energy. They all love climbing trees, so that is currently the outdoor passion. We also bike to the library at least once every 2-3 weeks. 

Whew!!! I don't think I've ever typed up that much detail about anything (excluding college papers). Hopefully, someone will read it and find it useful.

Comments