Hawaiian Falls...does this count as school?

The last big event of the summer was Splash Kingdom musical camp. I was serving as the acting director (no, I have no experience or credentials for this role, but God used me somehow). Rae and Al were too old for the camp, so they served as youth leaders. All the boys agreed to participate in camp. For Ty and B, this wasn't such a big deal. They've done kid's choir and other sorts of musical things before. For F, this was a huge step out of his comfort zone. He has always refused to do any sort of on stage activities because he had awful stage fright. 
In the months prior to camp, we hosted to audition workshops for the kids that were interested in more prominent parts in the musical. Since I had to be there, I took the boys along to participate. At the very first workshop, the vocal director totally put him on the spot. She called on him to sing a part by himself. He actually sang all by himself! I was stunned. Even more, I was stunned at how good he sounded. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't record label worthy, but it was in tune. I was tearing up from the surprise of it. Afterward, he came back to the tech booth where I was sitting with great excitement. He said, "Mom, I almost passed out!" I laughed so hard and congratulated him on stepping out of his comfort zone. I also encouraged him to keep it up. The vocal director told me afterward, "did you hear that. it was perfect, he was sheet white, but it was perfect." We both laughed at the idea of him standing there with no color left on his poor, little face. 
When the week of camp finally came, he went with no complaints. He was cast in one of the 6 principal roles for the drama and he sang a solo in one of the musical numbers. In a few other numbers he was part of the harmony group. 
Ty also sang a solo and did a great job dancing and entertaining the crowd during all of the songs. B had a vignette part during one of the songs as well. Rae sat in the front with the directors and helped the kids by doing the motions to all of the songs. The kids could look at her if they forgot what to do. We had a director for this but the stage was so big, they couldn't all see her. Rae sat on the opposite side to help out. Al learned how to work in the sound booth that week, so she helped with that during the show. It was a great week!
As part of the participation, we all received tickets to Hawaiian Falls, a water park that is owned and operated by Christians. They strive to keep it a family friendly place. They play Christian music throughout the park and scriptures all over the property. 
We used our tickets during the first week of school. The park was not crowded a bit and we had a great time. Even though Rae and Ty do not like roller coasters or other common amusement rides, they tried the slides and impressed me with their willingness to step out and try new things. Here are a few pictures:

 B

 Al

 F

 F

 Ty

 Rae

 Ty

Comments