I have to put this somewhere...

In the last few weeks I've seen a few blogs of long term missionaries. These are not people that I know but just strangers that I've come across in one way or another. Some have been in parts of Asia, but others were in Uganda. Uganda is a place that I'm particularly fond of. I have a handful of friends there, whom I treasure, even though I only see them a few weeks out of the year.

Over the time that I've seen these blogs, I've learned of something that I find disturbing. I already knew about  the LRA and poverty and corrupt government and all sorts of issues that impact people in Uganda and many other places. However, I've seen many sources of information referring to the slavery involved in obtaining the natural resources required to produce smart phones, cameras, laptops, and all sorts of other luxuries that we take for granted here in the US (yes, I know we're not the only ones but we're a bit obsessive).

I  knew about the lower cost of labor in other parts of the world. I know that companies pay very low wages  in other countries to make more money here in the US and sell things at lower prices. I think we've all heard about child labor and other similar issues. I knew about families, including tiny little children, working in rock quarries for their entire lives to pay off a debt that was borrowed. These people barely make enough to eat and have no hope of ever paying off the debt. They are slaves generation after generation. However, I had never heard about the extent of slavery and abuse all for one simple reason: the love of getting the next best thing.

I feel like I should have known. At some point, I should have realized that it had to be happening. After all, how did I think all of these things were made? Don't get me wrong, I'm not much of one for buying new things or "upgrading." I've only ever owned one laptop and it's the same one I'm typing on right now. It's around 7 years old. Our desktop is about 9 years old. I could possibly count all the cell phones I've ever owned on 1 hand. But that doesn't pardon me. I'm sure I've bought things that were produced at too high a cost.

I have no idea what to do with this knowledge or how it will change me, but I know that I have to look into this problem to learn more. I have to do my best to not add to the problem. As my last post was about good intentions that were not followed through on, I know I've got to do better on this one. This has to be one of those things that gets labeled "important."

Comments