a great weekend!

This past Thursday, I loaded into a car with 2 friends, really sisters. One I have known for around 5 years because we worked together in the children's ministry at our church when my children were young. Our lives continued to cross paths at our church and in 2011 we found ourselves on the same trip to Uganda. It was her 4th or 5th time in Africa and my first. We went together again this year. The other friend, I met for the first time in 2011. She also joined the team headed to Uganda and I've had the privilege to travel their twice with her. Both ladies are a blessing to me and I count it a privilege to know them. 
During our time in Uganda back in July we were discussing a desire to dig into God's word with other women and schedule conflicts that prevented us from participating in the Women's Bible studies at our church. So, we decided to take matters into our own hands. We signed up for a training seminar through Precept ministries. 
We drove about 5 hours to a suburb of Houston, TX. Two of us attended "How to Study Precept Upon Precept" and "How to Study a New Testament Letter." Both classes were awesome! I feel so empowered and my hunger for the Word was spurred more than I expected. We dug through the book of Titus in a way that I had never done before. I'm pumped to apply this new found knowledge in my own study time. The other lady attended "How to Lead a Precept Upon Precept Study" because she had already completed Precept studies previously. 
We're looking forward to joining together to complete a Precept Upon Precept study together but we won't start until after Christmas. For now, we'll complete the commitments that we already have.

Beside the great experience in these classes, I was blessed by the time to just relax and enjoy the company of friends. We went out for dinner and had an amazing dessert, which was a splurge that was outside our usual experiences. We sat in the hotel just laughing and enjoying the downtime. Not to mention the craziness of 5 hours in a car twice-once to get there and once to get home. It was all wonderful and I feel blessed to have had this experience. I look forward to more opportunities in the future, should they be presented. 


This time of study confirmed my conviction that as Christians we MUST study the Bible for ourselves. We cannot rely on the messages we hear at church, the lessons we're taught as children, or the commentaries and literature that others have written to share what they think about the Bible. We must read it, meditate on it, dig deep into it, and write it on our hearts and minds.

Comments