new light on an old, familiar verse

Last night the girl child and I were making our weekly trek to Keller, which is about an hour drive when traffic is good. I have no idea what path my brain took along the way but I had an exciting realization. I was pondering who I am according to God. I am His child; created in His image; created to do good works, which He prepared in advance for me to do; knit together in my mother's womb before she had even thought of me; pardoned by the Light, Jesus Christ, the one true son of the one true God...

Now as I am pondering these things, Rae is in the passenger seat knitting. She had been working on one project for most of the day and the previous day. I glanced over to her and thought about how much time it takes for even the simplest project. That's when it hit me...

While the King James Bible says "thou hast covered me in my mother's womb," many translations use the word knit in Psalm 139:13. Both translations of the word actually have the same meaning. The "cover" referred to here means to interweave, to weave, to knit together. It wasn't a careless act, or something done quickly with little thought. God does not put children in mother's womb like we build tract housing. Each person is made with tedious attention to detail...like when my daughter sits down to knit a project.

I know this is not a new revelation. It's not even new to me, but it was the first time that the word "knit" jumped out at me. It excited me to think of God planning out just how He wanted me to be, and how He intended each of my children to be. I've always told them that God makes no mistakes and made them just the way they are for a specific reason.

I guess that as I drove along our usual route, doing what we do every week, it excited me to have a new visual for something that I've heard many times.

Comments