a lesson from the Lord

I don't think I've mentioned it before but my husband and I lead a small Bible study that meets on Sundays. We used to do the study that went along with our church's sermon series but in 2011 that changed. We began reading through the Bible from the beginning and discussing in detail.We meet nearly every week, breaking while we're in Uganda and for a few holidays. To give you an idea of how deeply we're studying, we started in Aug. 2011 and we just finished 1 Kings this week! It has been a great process and we look forward to getting all the way through the Bible some day. :)

We were driving home from our study yesterday and I was thinking out loud to my husband. I have committed to a 21 day fast from Jan 1-21. I am not eating any meat, breads, desserts, pastas, or anything similar. Basically, I'm having vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and cheese (small amounts). At the same time that I'm fasting, my husband has started a diet regimen to lose weight. I did not want my fast to become about weight loss in even the slightest form, so I decided to refrain from weighing myself during the entire fast. The purpose of my fast is a bit complicated but it makes sense between the Lord and I, and I know it is absolutely necessary. 

When people find out that you're fasting (or even dieting) they have different reactions. Some people are encouraging, some want to tell you all the ways to do it better, some want to tell you why it's bad, some will say it's unnecessary, and some just don't say anything. I was thinking out loud yesterday about the particular reaction in which people tell you that what you're doing is unnecessary, that you can break the fast because God won't be upset or what you're doing isn't a sin. For example, if I eat some meat or step on the scale, it's not a sin and God won't be angry with me. 

I know that getting on a scale is not a sin. I also know that eating meat is not a sin. I know that if I broke my fast, God would forgive me.

But here's what I realized as I spewed thoughts out loud to my husband: 
If my husband told me that he was going to do something, I'd expect him to do it or have a REALLY good reason that he didn't.
If I told him I was going to do something and didn't, I'd feel bad and be very apologetic. I'd also do my best to go back and do whatever I didn't do in the first place. 
If my children told me they were going to do something, by golly, they better do it. If not, there would most likely be consequences.

I think this is normal for most people. We expect people to do what they say they're going to do. We expect their yes to mean yes! Aren't we right to have those expectations? Don't go too far off now, I realize that sometimes things just cannot go as expected but I'm referring to a normal, everyday basis. 

If we have this expectation in our human relationships, why do we expect less of ourselves in our relationship with God? Why do we think it's no big deal to not do what we said we would do? The fact that God forgives us is fabulous but should that make us flippant about our actions and commitments?

When we say we're going to do something...like study our Bible for a certain amount of time or at a certain time/place, or that we're going to get out of bed at a certain time to spend quiet time with the Lord, or fast, or refrain from a specific behavior, or ______ (filll in the blank), we should take that serious! 

Would you agree to meet a friend for coffee at 8am and then just decide to sleep in? After all, if they're a good friend, won't they forgive you? 


When this realization hit me, I was quite shocked. I felt awful about all the times I said I'd do something with/for the Lord and didn't. I suddenly realized that I have taken advantage of His grace. I know I'm not the only one because I see/hear this "no big deal" reaction all the time. We must stop being so nonchalant in our relationship with God! 


I hope this made some sense. To think out loud with Floyd is so much easier than relaying the thought process in writing. Perhaps it makes some sense and you've had your own experience in this area. Perhaps you're like me and needed a wake up call. God gave me that wake up call yesterday. My fast has been going really well, so this time I have been faithful in my commitment but I know that hasn't always been the case. 

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experience in this area. 

Comments

  1. How did your fast go? I've been doing the Daniel Fast and had all but decided to probably stop at 14 days, tomorrow, because I am stressed and just worn out. Any encouragement or tips? Thanks. -Estrella

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment