Who says God isn't in our schools?

Since I've recently returned to teaching in a public school, I have to say that I'm so grateful that the Lord is with me every step of the way. Some days I only pray a few times during the 8 hours on campus. Other days I'm praying too many times to count. So often I find myself standing in the room looking at these high school students, trying to relate to them, trying to keep from screaming or losing my temper, and I just pray, "Lord, help me to see them as you do." I'm not just saying these words. I'm pleading for Him to give me a glimpse of what He sees. Not in a judgmental way, but so that I can love them more. So that I can understand, or try at least. Mostly so that I can see them with love rather than frustration or annoyance. It keeps  me from giving up. 

I don't even think these kids realize how used to negativity they are. They say awful things to each other all the time. They refer to it as "scoring." Or putting someone "on blast." A student even told me that they don't think I mean it when I ask them to quiet down or to focus (or whatever I say at that  moment) because of how I say it. She said, "Ms., you have to say 'shut the f### up', then they'll know you mean it." How sad is that ??!! These are 14 and 15 year old kids! 

Don't get me wrong. I've spent more than half a decade in classrooms with the same kind of kids. Of course, my new campus takes it to a whole 'nother level, but it's not totally different. It breaks my heart when kids talk about sex, drugs, alcohol, violence, and all sorts of other things as if they are no big deal. In their experience, these things are just part of life and "everyone does it."

So, back to my original point. I am grateful that the Lord is with me. Of course, I wish I could more freely share him with the kids. They might find a new hope, new peace, new joy if they could just know what I know. Don't get me wrong. I'll take any opportunity I get and I know that the Lord shows himself without me having to use my words. 

The bottom line: God is in our schools because we are living in New Testament times. He sent the Holy Spirit to dwell within every follower of Christ. Where we go, He goes with us. We are all missionaries walking around with the full power of Christ inside us. We just have to recognize it and allow Him to work through us. When I walk into that school, God walks in as well. Of course, He is technically already there because he is with every believer and I'm not the only one. He is there with every one of his children because he promised to never leave us. 

Make no doubt about it, God is in our schools. His message may not be taught in our schools (at least not directly) but He is there. 

And boy am I grateful!!! I couldn't go without him!

Comments