a gift that I will treasure!

I'm really not sure how I will explain this because I'm not sure I have the words, but I'm going to do my best.

A few weeks ago, Floyd and I visited a life group that had invited us to share about our call to Uganda. We had dinner and talked with them for a couple of hours. At the end of the evening one of the ladies told me that she would be sending me a gift. I remember that night wondering what she was talking about, but to be truthful, it hasn't crossed my mind again.

Well, today there was a package in the mail. I opened it up and saw her little note, "I told you that I had something for you...I didn't forget!" Of course, the moment came back immediately and I was excited to look in the big envelope.

Enclosed I found a cd with 1 song on it, a tiny little satchel with a necklace in it, and 3 pieces of paper. Two pages included the lyrics to the song on the cd and the third page was a print out of the Ugandan flag.

I read the lyrics to the song and popped the cd into the computer to have a listen. Mind you, at this point I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed. How amazing is it that this wonderful lady sent me such a gift. As I heard the song, I could remember the conversation of the evening and sort of imagine where the thought came from. Click here to listen to the song before you read on, if you can.

At one point in the evening she called us pioneers. I don't really feel like "pioneer" is a good description for me. It is a powerful word that describes someone who is really stepping out into an unknown place exploring and/or starting something brand new. They are brave and strong. They are many things, not much of which I'd ever use to describe myself. But this new friend did use that word to describe me and my family. It actually came up a few more times and has been mentioned by others.

I still admit that I don't feel like I qualify as a pioneer. If I try to imagine myself as a pioneer, I'd have to use some other adjectives to describe a pioneer. Here are the ones that come to mind: faithful, fearful, obedient, trusting, insufficient, inadequate, human, imperfect, weak, excited, curious,... All of my descriptions come down to one thing: the bottom line is that I don't have to be brave and strong because my God is strong, my God is almighty, my God is omnipotent, my God is omniscient, my God is faithful and trustworthy, my God is all sufficient, my God is strongest when I am weakest. If going where my God sends me and being faithful and obedient to Him qualifies me as a pioneer, then I'm okay with that. I don't care what I'm called as long as I am where God wants me.

SO, to wrap this up. The beautiful necklace that I'm wearing around my neck is a silver pendant with a design on each side. One side says, "let your heart not be troubled" and the other side says, "I'll go anywhere" on a heart and underneath it says, "Pioneer." As I said in the beginning, I can't explain how this gift makes me feel. I'm moved by the thoughtfulness, the message, the love, just everything about it. I'm truly touched. I feel like this was a way that God showed His love to me.

Comments