2 simple questions with immeasurable impact

So, this year I have done my best to always have a warm up that allows me to see where my students are in the math process. It also gives them something to do when they come in the room. Very early in the year I decided to give them a break from the math occasionally. I wanted to know more about them than their math skills and they would be glad to not have a math question whenever possible.

I started a random "tradition" of sorts. On Fridays (not necessarily every Friday, but almost), the warm up is very simple, just 2 questions.
#1. What is the best thing that happened this week?
#2 What is the worst thing that happened this week?

I realized very quickly that I like this warm up. I get to learn a lot about my students and I get to respond to what's going on in their life. The responses are so varied and I love it. You can imagine the types of answers:
*We won our game this week.
*I had an argument with my parents.
*I got to sit by him in class yesterday. :)
*I got a girl's number on Tuesday. (together with) *I lost her number before I even used it.
*Nothing bad happened this week. (I like this one because it's a rare relief.)
*I passed my history test.
*The Algebra test we're taking today. (a personal favorite because it makes me laugh, if that's the worst thing of the week, they are doing pretty good)

The answers are usually very short and to the point, but they still tell me so much. I also love the opportunity it provides for me to encourage them, especially when they say that they can't think of anything.

For example, when they tell me that they can't think of anything good, I offer a few suggestions: you woke up this morning and made it safely to school in good health, you're still breathing, you're getting an education, you get to come to Algebra class everyday!, you have on different clothes than you wore yesterday, you had breakfast (and possibly lunch depending on the class period), and so on.
Basically, I get to remind them of all the little things that happened in their life but didn't happen for someone somewhere.
As a teacher in a core subject in a public high school, it is very easy to get lost in the paperwork, deadlines, testing calendar, and dozens of "objectives" for students to master; however, I never want to forget that the main purpose is to reach the students. This simple little warm up doesn't take any effort, it's actually way easier than coming up with another thought provoking math question, and it gives every kid two questions that they know they got right (unless it's blank of course).

I encourage you to use these simple questions to connect with people around you. I actually came up with the idea because of my kids. The StanClan children have always enjoyed discussing our highs and lows around the dinner table. I'm not even sure who started it, but I can remember doing it as long they've been going to school (perhaps even preschool). Usually we just ask, "what was your high?" and "what was your low?". Sometimes the kids have gotten creative and they'd say something like, "what was your sunshine?" and "what was your cloudy?". However they asked, we knew what they meant. We go around the table (or the room or whatever) and each person shares, including Mom and Dad. When I was trying to decide what my non-math warm up would be, this game came to mind. Of course, I couldn't say "what was your high?" due to the demographic of my high school students, so I just made the question less figurative and more straight forward. :)

Have you ever played High/Low? If not, give it a try.

Comments