a personal reflection on following Christ

First let me tell you that I actually wrote this blog post on Tuesday evening while sitting in Perspectives with Raegan (it is now Saturday evening). I was reflecting on the idea that prayer should not be a long list of requests for the Lord (I'm assuming you've heard that idea mentioned somewhere at least once). I have often found myself trying to limit my prayers because I don't want to ask for too many things; however, the Lord showed me the err in my reasoning. You see, if I were asking for a long list of things for myself, especially material or superficial things, then that could certainly signify a problem; however, I cannot pray for myself, my family, my friends, my church, the leaders of the nation, missionaries, the abused, oppressed, widowed, orphaned, persecuted, unreached, etc., etc. in a short prayer. The request portion of my prayers are long because in this fallen world there is a great deal of need. The more I know the Lord, the more I am aware of these needs. The more folks know me as a follower of Christ, the more prayer request I receive. Some people are crying out to the Lord and I join them in their supplication. Others do not know the one by whom they are saved and I cry out in their stead. Either way, I find that laying it at all at His feet is the greatest I can offer. Of course, as He sends me, I follow and obey. I will do the physical work He puts before me, but the greatest work He gives me is prayer and that just has to be long. So, on Tuesday, somehow this came to my mind (it must have somehow been brought to mind by something the teacher said) and led to this reflection:

The more involved we get in God's work, the more we know suffering - yes, some of our own, but even more so, that of others. We receive prayer requests from more and more people. God sends us into the midst of hurt and pain and sometimes immeasurable suffering. Sometimes it is up close and personal and we're right there in the trenches. Other times it is second hand (or third or fourth) and we empathize because we can put ourselves in that place and imagine just a little of what that pain might feel like.

We also see the bigger picture; the eternal view. We know the final place of those who don't know Christ. While we can't fathom the depths of that future suffering,what we do know is enough to bring us to our knees on behalf of those who have not confessed upon the name of Christ, whether because they haven't heard or they haven't believed.

BUT beyond the suffering...oh what glory lies beyond the suffering! The more involved we get in God's work, the more we know joy - true, unbridled, unexplainable joy.

At first, joy is seen as the suffering subsides. When the pain starts to disappear and the dust is settling, the survivor wakes up to a joy that they didn't know before. It's like a new friend and it's a friend that won't be leaving. That joy cannot be taken. Once it comes, it remains. Next time suffering or pain rears it's ugly head, that friend will stick around. As trials and struggles pass over time, the friendship reaches greater maturity. This friend - this joy - can't be logically explained. It comes only from the Lord.

It is an amazing sight to see. The one who has been through the test of time. They've experienced that pain and suffering and come out on the other side a time or two. The joy that they found is visible in all circumstances; it is a joy that cannot be extinguished. In the depths of the pain, the joy can still be seen because it comes from the inside. They know the Lord, and that is enough.

In the big picture, we know who wins. In spite of the pain and suffering of this fallen world, we have joy, for we know the final outcome. Darkness may reign on this earth but it is only temporary. Unending joy is ours, today and every day to come for all eternity.

I leave you with this: Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, wrote this to the elect exiles:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.       1 Peter 1:3-9


Comments