no electricity! (or not much at least)

Tuesday evening will be 2 weeks that we've gone without electricity along the main wall of our house. We don't actually know what happened. The maintenance guy checked everything he could imagine and finally gave up. He will require the assistance of an electrician. Since we are not ones to make a big fuss, they will wait for their usual electrician because it won't cost the landlord as much as calling in someone else. Hopefully we'll know something any day now, but until then, we carry on.

The good news is that every room still has an outlet that works. The bad news is that any outlet on the front wall of the house is completely useless. For some of us, there is hardly a noticeable difference in day to day functioning. But for others, there is no going on as usual.

I'm one of the latter. Actually, it so happens that I am the most affected by this little inconvenience. I cannot use an alarm clock, turn on my lamp, charge my phone, plug in my laptop, etc., etc. There are no working plugs anywhere near my side of the bedroom. Ironically, I'm also the one who has to get up and leave the house before sunrise everyday of the week. Everyday for the last week and a half, Floyd has had to set his alarm clock to wake me. Of course, my brain is use to tuning out his alarm, so frequently he has to get my attention or I'll sleep right through his alarm. When I had electricity, I used a lamp to light my way and not disturb Floyd's sleep. Without the lamp, things have been a little trickier. Once I hear Floyd's alarm, I stumble around the room to unplug my phone from his desk, then I turn on the flashlight app. I use this flashlight to find my clothes and shoes and everything else I need.

So, why am I telling you all of this? I'm not sure really. I guess it just seems interesting to me that what could be made into a major issue and was particularly annoying at first, has just become normal in only a little more than a week. Of course, there are definitely moments when it is even more noticeable, but all in all, it's not a big deal. We've made it work. Maybe we'll even see a little benefit on our next electric bill. ;)

Perhaps some of the things that we think we can't live without are not as necessary as we think. Don't get me wrong, I still have access to electricity, just not as easily as usual. It reminds me of how drastically things changed when we downsized from about 3400 square feet to approximately 1000 square feet. We learned to function with one restroom, no dinner table, and no extra space. The adjustment was actually quite quick and seamless. All in all, we quickly came to love the cozy little house we've called home for 2 years.

Comments