a bit of a blur

I have to admit that things are a bit of a blur right now.
*I have 21 days left in the classroom at my current school. Today, just as we were finishing our weekly planning meeting, an announcement came on telling everyone to take cover because we were under a tornado warning. We moved to the cafeteria to wait it out. I admit, I was not so worried about myself; however, I immediately thought of the kids. Because Floyd is in Uganda, they were home alone and I hadn't talked to them since my lunch break. I called Tyler and everything was fine, but they didn't have anything turned on to keep them updated. I sat out the warning in the cafeteria and then was able to come home. The kids and I had NOTHING on our schedule...I can't remember the last time I didn't have something pressing to do. It was really nice.

*As I mentioned, Floyd is in Uganda. He arrived their late at night on Wednesday evening (so about 8 hours ago now). He'll be there for about a week and our friend Dan was able to join him. They will be visiting the property, having meetings with the pastors and construction folks, and doing all sorts of other planning things. I totally admit that I'm a bit jealous. The kids and I would love to be there also but the expensive cost of plane tickets definitely takes away that option.

*The picnic and silent auction was last weekend. I felt like I was running around like a crazy person for the entire day, but many people have said they had a great time. We had so many people helping us in so many different areas that I can't even quite get my head in order enough yet to thank everyone appropriately. We had 4 ladies running the silent auction and they did a phenomenal job. Then we had a few adults and several youth running the bounce houses, gaga pit, dunk tank, etc. who also did a great job. Eagle's Wings Athletics set up a gymnastics center for the kids and many parents commented on how awesome that was. We had a few pastors take a turn in our dunk tank, for which we are so grateful. We also had a full band made up of volunteers and a great sound guy. They did an amazing job of leading us in worship. The Lord provided beautiful weather! Overall, it was just a great time!

*The Lord has been bringing people to our ropes team (that's what we call our support team). In order to make the move as scheduled, we have to be 100% funded on both our start-up costs and our monthly support. After the event, many generous donations, and the accrual of monthly support that we're already receiving, we know that the start-up costs will be covered completely.
We are currently right about 40% on our monthly support. We are so grateful for every family/individual on our team. We are also in prayer for The Lord to lead more people to opening their hearts to hear about this mission. The more we talk with people, the more we realize how little people understand about what we're going to be doing. The most common response is, "wow, this is much bigger than I thought." And that is absolutely true. We are going to help start a community, literally! Beginning with a home for orphans and a school and working our way up to a trade school, a clinic, businesses, and other things. And all of this is the vision of Makumbi Johnson and his people at Victory Living Word Church. We are so excited and would love to tell everyone about it! If you want to make an investment that will impact with a ripple effect, this is it!

*Raegan is heading to Camp His Way from May 16-18 for what's called a trial weekend. She has applied to be a Levite for the camp. This is what they call their summer staff. It is 100% volunteer, so the camp is able to keep their cost reasonable for families. Raegan is hoping to get accepted. It has been a dream for her since her first summer at CHW when she was 6 years old. The next weekend, she'll go from May 23-26 for training, if she gets accepted. She's hoping to be accepted. We've heard that the young Levites only get to serve 1 or 2 sessions, but she's praying that The Lord will give her favor and she can serve all but one session. During that one session, she's participating in a mission trip to New Orleans with some of her youth group. Overall, it should be a busy summer for her, but busy in the best possible way!

So basically, that tells you some of the things on my mind. I know the school year is going to fly by, and, if I'm being honest, I'm okay with that; however, I pray that I seek every opportunity to plant seeds in the lives of my students. I just want them to know that their is a God who loves them and that life is about more than sex, drugs, fighting, money, and social media. I get so frustrated because they have way more potential than they realize; every single one of them. Life is full of opportunity and yet they focus on the now. I know this is normal for teen-agers to some extent, but I just want to plant a seed. Someday when they start to question and realize that they want more, I want them to remember that crazy lady that they had for Algebra I and that she always loved them. ("and, oh yea, she moved to Africa after that school year"...just kidding, but they talk about it a lot)
I also hope they remember to read the book of John. I don't know why, but the message that God has put on my heart for them has been relatively simple.
When you finally start to question, and wonder for yourself, start with the book of John.
When you feel like life can't get any worse and you want to give up, read the book of John.
When you don't know where to turn or what to do, read the book of John.
When you're bored and desperate for something to do, read the book of John.

Basically, whatever the situation, read the book of John, that you might meet Jesus. Maybe kids don't read much now a days, but if just one of them remembers to read the book of John someday, I know they'll find Jesus and it will have been worth it!
They need to know that they are loved, not in a romantic, lustful way; but in a deep, unconditional, way. They need to know that they have value, regardless of the opinions of other people. They also need to know that they have purpose and that EVERY SINGLE LIFE HAS VALUE...immeasurable value!

And just in case you aren't sure, the same message applies to you. You are loved and you have value. Read the book of John, that you might meet Jesus, or be reminded of who He is.

Comments