a scary title...

On Friday and Saturday the boys and I had the great joy of attending the first ever Christ Fellowship Preston Family Retreat. It was similar to a men's, women's, or youth retreat; however, it was designed for the entire family to take time out of life and just enjoy being together. After all, church is supposed to be a family...the Preston campus motto is "That's what family does," which includes a little family vacation to reconnect and enjoy each other.

On Saturday morning I was talking to the lady who works the weekends at the retreat facility. She was telling me about their different types of lodging on the property. It came up that they have a few cabins that families can stay in to get away. She said that they have special rates for missionaries, as many use their facilities while on furlough and I said, "I'll have to remember that." She replied, "are you missionaries?"

This is where I started to fumble for words. I couldn't just say "yes". At that same time, a friend from church had walked up and heard the question. She heard me fumbling for words and trying to answer and jumped in with, "yes, you can just say yes. You are missionaries."

Of course, we all laughed a little and I continued to try to find words. There is just something about that title.

My first thought is to just say, "no, I'm just a regular person who happens to be moving to Uganda because that's where God specifically told us to move and fill a specific role in His kingdom plan." I don't really deserve the title of missionary...it sounds extremely holy. I can tell you about some amazing missionaries; I've read a lot of their biographies. My life certainly isn't worthy of a biography, nor do I seek for it to be. I simply want to love the Lord by keeping His commands...that is what he says in his word. It's right there in red letters, in John 14:15, "If you love me, keep my commandments."

Even if it weren't a command, how can we know the truth of Jesus Christ and not want to share it with others? Don't get me wrong, I know it can be hard. Who wants to be "that" person...the one who tells everybody about Jesus; who talks about the Bible all the time; who relates everything to a parable or a Bible story? It can be socially awkward. It can cause you to be the odd one. It bring's about lots of stereotypes and judgement. After all, in general, modern society criticizes people for being judgmental, except when you're judging a Christian. It's okay to judge Christians because "they are judgmental and intolerant." What an irony (we could have an entire blog post just about that, but that would get us nowhere). :)

We all know folks that go on and on about certain things in their life that they feel have made a significant positive impact and feel compelled to share in order that you're life will be improved as well. There's advocare, plexus, south beach diet, flipping houses, moving to the country and getting off the grid, home schooling, and so on and so on. None of these things are bad and I don't feel negatively toward any of my friends who share about such a thing. After all, they want people's lives to be better. This makes perfect sense.

And it makes perfect sense in regard to sharing the love of Christ. If you have been set free from the bonds of this life by Jesus Christ, wouldn't you want others to have the same opportunity? You want people to enjoy this life, whether it's being skinny, being wealthy, being their own boss, having the freedom to teach their kids what they feel is important, and so on...Christ has come to give us life in abundance both in the here and now, and in the future. When this life is over, our wealth, or lack there of, our clothing size, our degrees, our carbon footprint, and everything else will be gone. Only one thing will matter - where are you for eternity?

So, it makes perfect sense that we should want to follow the Lord's commands and share the only name that saves with anyone who will listen. It doesn't have to be a command...

But it is! We all have the great commandment AND the great commission.

So, am I a missionary? My next natural response is: Aren't we all? I'm a missionary just like you. Yes, the Lord has given me a calling that is a bit more obvious than some and requires an entirely different style of living, but we are all missionaries. Yes, I have to/get to raise financial support. This can be viewed in positive and negative ways, and it isn't something that most people do. But, it's just part of my specific calling. I assure you, I fought it for quite sometime. After all, I have a master's degree and many unique skills. I could move to any country and just get a paying job. But God said no. He said the Stanleys will follow the path that Jesus himself walked, and the disciples, and Paul, and Barnabas, and Timothy, and the Levites, and even, for a short time, Elijah.

Can you imagine telling a widow woman to bring you a drink and make you a loaf of bread, even though she just told you that she'll make the last meal for her son and then they will die? And then, she does it! WOW! What great faith on both their parts. He made the ask, which I'm sure he really didn't want to do-would you ask someone to give you the last of their food. And she went and made bread for him first. And what was the result: "there was food everyday for Elijah and for the woman and her family. For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah" 1Kings: 17:15-16.

The Lord uses His people to provide for those called to certain roles, and he doesn't do it just for the sake of those he has called. He does it for both sides. If that widow woman had not responded to Elijah in faith, what would have been the result? We can only assume that the flour and oil would be gone and their life would have ended with starvation.

When Jesus sent out the apostles, he specifically told them to not put any money in their belts, to take no extra clothing, or anything else. He would provide for them through his people. In several of Paul's letters he talks about their generosity and how they have provided, even out of their poverty. (If you're now thinking, "but Paul was a tent-maker, do some searching of the Bible and you'll see that his tent-making was very brief and for certain purposes.)

So many people quote Philippians 4:13, but do you know what Paul was actually talking about and what the next verse says? He's talking about provision. He says that he has learned to be content, whether in plenty or in hunger, in abundance or in need, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles" (4:10-14). He is thanking God's people in Philippi for providing; and really, even more than thanking them, he is reminding them that the provision comes from the Lord and they are giving back to the Lord.

To be truthful, when I started this post, I expected it to be the shortest post I've ever done. I really didn't have much to say. I just felt compelled to share about my freezing up when asked such a simple question. However, once I got started, the thoughts just flowed. If you actually made it this far, thank you for taking the time! This journey into being a "missionary" or, as our church refers to us, "a global worker" brings about many new experiences. We're enjoying the journey, even though it can feel isolating and be full of all sorts of new emotions. We thank all those who have already joined us in this journey and all those who will but we arent' aware of yet (and they probably aren't aware yet either). I'll keep working on my answer.

Yes, I am a missionary.

Comments