Flashback to 2011

Wow, I was updating our blog today and clicked on the link to my old, personal blog. I didn't read a lot, rather I just scrolled through what was showing on the home page. One particular thing that I shared really stuck out to me and was particularly interesting given where we're at right now in our walk with the Lord.

Here is the excerpt that I copied from the old post dated April 7, 2011:
After Jesus ascended to heaven and the Holy Spirit came, the people were on fire (not literally). The apostles set out to share the message and new believers were told to join in the effort. The people were radical. To everyone else they seemed completely crazy! The visual I have is someone adding fuel to a fire and fanning the flames. 

Now, in our world, it seems that we're always asking people to be logical. Someone shares something exciting and we start asking questions to see if it makes sense. We try to calm them down because of course we don't want others to think they're crazy. We don't want them to seem like a religious freak or a Bible beater. We're worried that it doesn't make financial sense or it doesn't look good on paper. 

For the last few months I've had this on my mind. I don't want to be a calm-down kind of person. I want to hear someone's excitement and add fuel to the fire! Of course, I want to be directed by God but I'd rather err on the side of reacting with passion as opposed to looking at everything logically or not reacting at all out of fear or uncertainty. The Bible makes it clear that His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts. It makes me wonder, if we can make sense of everything in our lives, maybe we're missing something. Maybe we haven't really been responding to His call. Something should be beyond our logic.

Now, I know some of you might be getting a little worried. I've never really been described as a calm person before and I really do enjoy being a bit crazy. I'm always telling my children that crazy is a good thing. I feel that it is only right to prepare them because with Floyd and I as their parents, they don't have much chance of not being crazy. (I know that sounds like I'm being silly but I mean it sincerely.) I wish I could offer you comfort but, alas, I cannot. I'm feeling a desire to be more radical. To step out more for God. To really lean on Him and respond to His calling and go wherever it leads. Who knows where that will take us.

So, I guess in just a few short years we see that my desire to follow God wherever he leads has definitely brought us on a totally unexpected journey. And, until God changes his directions, responding to His call takes us to live in Uganda.

Really, this is why I blog. It's like keeping a journal (which I do, and did even more diligently in my younger years). I can look back and see details of my journey that I may have forgotten. I share it with others in hopes that someone might find at least some bit of encouragement from something I post.
If you have any desire to read any of my personal blogs from a few years ago, click the tab at the top that says "Pardoned."

Comments