an FYI for the ladies...especially if you travel overseas

So, this post is related to female functions and is meant to be helpful for the ladies, so if you're a guy, you probably don't want to read this. If you are a single dad, you might read it for your daughter's sake. If you're a dad at all, you might just tell your wife or daughter to read it for themselves.

This post is to share some info with you that I would not have known myself if someone else hadn't posted online. From 2007-2011, I was a pretty avid runner (major runner's toe after a half-marathon at the end of 2011 was my undoing, but that's another story). At some point around 2008, someone posted on a runner's forum about something called a Diva Cup. She was inquiring about it and lots of ladies gave her really good feedback recommending the product. I thought then that I should try it, but never got around to ordering it.

Fast forward a few years and I was going to Uganda at least once a year and was looking at a potential long term move. The Diva Cup became even more enticing. Let me give you the short description from their own website.

The DivaCup is a reusable, bell-shaped menstrual cup that is worn internally and sits low in the vaginal canal, collecting rather than absorbing your menstrual flow. Menstrual cups have existed since the 1930s when women were searching for an alternative to the choices of the time. Yet, its breakthrough into the feminine hygiene industry is much more recent.

After you read this post, if you want more info, you can visit their website by clicking here.

When you go to an under developed country, you have to be concerned with simple things like proper disposal, sanitation, luggage allowance, etc. When moving to an undeveloped country, you have to think even more about these details and other things like buying feminine products, etc. Even in countries of abundance like the USA, we should concern ourselves with landfills, sanitary disposal, health, etc.

The Diva Cup takes care of these issues. After purchasing and using one for some time now, I would highly recommend it. I think you would find it way less complicated than you imagine and way more comfortable, clean, and freeing. If you read the details on the website, you'll see that you can wear it for up to 12 hours with no concerns. It is especially freeing for dealing with sports and water activities in the summer. Also, it makes leaving class to go to the ladies room so much easier for young girls. Since it is already in place, you don't have to carry any products out of class, basically announcing to the class what you're doing. (I am in no way saying that a girl should be embarrassed about having a period, but the reality is that most young ladies do not want everyone to know).

For a personal situation, I'll even tell you that recently my family went on a cruise and, as luck would have it, I started my period the morning that we were to set sail. This could have been a major frustration for my trip, but it was actually no big deal with the Diva Cup. I always throw it in my travel bag when leaving home, so I was covered. On our first destination point we went snorkeling, using wet-suits and everything, but I had nothing to worry about. It really is quite freeing because you do not have to give it a second thought for literally hours. Also, as we went around the ship for karaoke, swimming, meals, etc. I didn't have to carry a purse or anything. I could use any restroom on the ship and take of my business without a second thought.

So, while this topic may be uncomfortable for some, I just wanted to share this in case it is of interest to any of my friends. It is friendlier to the earth, cleaner for your body, less fuss in any situation, less expensive than normal products, and so simple. I highly recommend it. If you do give it a try, definitely don't give up after the first time. Putting it in place and removing it can be awkward at first, but I promise it will get easier.

So, enough of the talk. Do your own research and consider it for yourself. I won't say another word about it. :)

Comments