lots of firsts as the journey goes on

On Tuesday we had a new experience that might make some folks nervous. It was early afternoon and we had not gotten anything done for the day. Pastor Johnson was tied up with some other business, so we were just waiting at the hotel. We decided to have the hotel driver, Davis, take us to complete a few tasks that we could do on our own. Just as the driver arrived, Floyd's phone rang. Pastor Johnson said he was about 20 miles away and heading our direction.

Floyd figured that they would only have time to deal with the final details of the car repairs from Mondays mishap. Since the driver was already there and we had lots to do, Floyd and I decided that the kids and I would go with Davis to accomplish some specific tasks and he would remain at the hotel to wait for Pastor Johnson and then deal with the car stuff. We have used this driver many times during our trips to Uganda over the last year and I felt that he was trustworthy.

Sure enough, he proved his trustworthiness pretty early in the trip. We had to stop at the ATM to withdraw funds. We parked right in front of a bank with outside ATMs, but that ATM would not work with our US account. There was another bank ATM at the next building over that I knew we had used several times in the past. I went back to the car and told the driver that I would just walk over there. Now, I realized that it was a very busy sidewalk and lots of people were standing around, but it was only maybe 20-30 feet away. As soon as I said, "I will just walk over there," Davis simply said, "No." I was a little surprised. He looked around the vehicle and looked at the kids in the car. He looked straight at Troy and said, "you will wait here with the others," then looked at me and said, "I will walk with you." So, he locked the kids in the car and then followed me along the sidewalk just a few steps behind me. Now, every bank and ATM has an armed guard outside the door, so there is that security as well. Davis followed me up to the fencing around the ATM and waited for me there, then walked me back to the car. Unfortunately, the ATM did not work for me. It really wasn't a big deal, but it did demonstrate that he was not going to let us make a bad decision. 

We next arrived at the shopping area where I was going to accomplish many tasks. Usually Davis just waits in the car or does his own thing while we are shopping, but this time, since Floyd wasn't with us, he went everywhere the kids and I went. First, we went to another ATM, where I realized that I was actually just pushing a wrong button at the other ATM (they use different words, even in English). Then we went to the cell phone company, MTN, to set up a new account. I was in line for over an hour and during that entire time, the kids and I were the only mzungus (white people) in sight. 

I couldn't help but wonder how Americans would react in the same situation. No air conditioning, no real customer service, no chairs for the wait; just a crowded line of people waiting to get to the counter. I was the 4th person in line and it took an hour. The lady was very kind, explaining that the system is just very slow. I didn't mind waiting, but the only thing I could relate it to was the DMV or Social Security office. :)

We also went to Orange mobile to set up our internet for our house (once we move in), to a store to get some staple things for the house (laundry & dish soap, jerry cans, an ironing board, etc.). Then we headed back to the hotel. Overall, it was very uneventful, just long and hot, but we were grateful for Davis' watchful eye looking out for us and the kids and I survived our first adventure without Dad.

When we were leaving the last store, they had cold drinks near the register. I told the kids to each pick one and asked Davis to choose one as well. He came back with two little juice boxes (like we'd get in the US). One of them was fruit cocktail. Based on his review, the kids and I got one for us to each take a taste. Raegan was definitely not thrilled with it, but the boys and I thought it was pretty good. 
The fruit cocktail with Davis in the
background.

On Wednesday we left the kids at the hotel by themselves. Keep in mind that the hotel is more like an apartment, so they have everything they need in the rooms and the steel doors double lock with an actual key, not a swipe card. So, Floyd and I left with Pastor Johnson to run lots of errands, and the kids hung out at the hotel, which they were very happy about. We went to some crowded industrial areas where it would be more challenging with more people trying to walk together, so it really was better for all involved.

We ordered the counter tops for our kitchen, which will be ready on Friday. We got Floyd a drill (a necessity that we couldn't bring from the US), and we went to an area where construction guys are set up on the side of the road selling there handmade furniture. We found a guy, Salid, who makes shelves and desks and chairs, etc. He will stain them the color to match the wood in our house and he will give us a great price to get all of our things from him. He needs the work and we have plenty of work to give him. :)

Also, I found a man to make the exact couches and chairs that I have wanted since I first saw them in Uganda a few years ago! I had not seen them again anywhere, so I was thinking I might have to give in and get something else. After we looked at shelves and everything else, we asked Salid about furniture and he said he knew where to go. We walked quite a ways down the road, passed lots and lots of furniture, and at almost the last spot, there was the base of the furniture I have hoped for. We talked with the man there, Dickson, and he will make my furniture for me! We will even go to his shop on Friday and pick out the fabric for the cushions! I know that this is not a big deal and I would have found some satisfactory furniture regardless, but I really love that God has made the way for me to get the furniture that I desired. It is a small detail that will be in our house everyday and I will enjoy it always!
This is the furniture I saw in 2013 and snapped a picture.
Our furniture will be this style, but we'll choose the fabric.

Then, to finish off a few days of firsts, Floyd drove us to the Tick Hotel for dinner. We locked the doors, got into our very own car, and drove all by ourselves to the Tick Hotel for dinner. We made it quite easily and it was quite exciting. After dinner, we didn't have to wait for someone to pick us up. We just got back in our car and drove back to our temporary residence. Floyd was relieved to have made a trip without any hiccups and we were all proud of him for successfully navigating the crazy roads of Uganda, and with a manual transmission to top it off. :)

Sorry this was another long one, but I know some of you love hearing the details of our adventure. Thanks for going along with us!

Comments