what breaks my heart

Have you ever been asked, "what breaks your heart" or "what are you passionate about"? Have you sang the worship song line, "break my heart for what breaks yours"?

Well, if I had to make a list I'm afraid it would be too long, but there are 5 key things that really get me. They are human trafficking, unreached people groups, the state of today's young people, marriage, and extreme poverty.  I guess at some point, I'll share more about each one, but today I'd like to focus on one specifically.

Human trafficking. I have very limited personal connection to this issue. I have a friend that works to fight this issue in another country (for her sake, I'll not say where). I have children, teens really. That's not a real connection to the issue, but something that does cause me to be more aware.

Once I met a mom whose daughter was a victim. I actually met her because Raegan and I went through our closets to provide clothes for her and her children. You see, they had to leave their home in a rush to flee the violent attacks of the men who were responsible for trafficking her oldest daughter. That daughter was in a police safe house, but the perpetrator had all of the information from her daughter's cell phone. He had already damaged the mom's car and done some other things to intimidate them. At the direction of authorities, she was told to take her younger children and stay somewhere else immediately. So, I arranged to meet this lady in a parking lot at a local shopping center. I had not met her before, but through a connection, I received word that she needed clothes, and we happened to have the sizes that she needed. Raegan and I stood in that parking lot listening to her share with us some of the details of their current situation and how these men had been brain washing her daughter. The daughter actually tried to "escape" from the safe house to return to the traffickers. They had convinced her that she would have a life of ease and luxury.

In case you think it is a distant thing, I'll just tell you that I met this woman at a location in Collin County, near Frisco & the Colony. That's not so distant for most of you.

So, here's the point. Human trafficking is a huge problem. It is sick, twisted, incomprehensible, but it is real. I have no idea how to fight it physically. I can't give you the name of an organization that I've researched and trust to really be fighting the problem. I can only make one real suggestion: add this situation to the things that you pray about regularly.

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12. This is definitely a battle against evil and darkness. Prayer is the chief work of every believer. It matters. It makes a difference.

Pray for the Lord to grab the hearts of those that sell and those that buy.
Pray for the victims; for those that are still trapped and those that are free but trying to heal.
Pray for tasks forces, police officers, and other departments that are in the direct line of trying to stop this problem.
Pray for airline employees, hotel employees, and other folks who are in a place to possibly see people and recognize some of the warning signs; that they will see the flags and call for help. That they'll make the call, and err on the side of caution, rather than ignoring the strange feeling that something is wrong.

These are just a few suggestions. I'm sure that there are many other specific things that need to be prayed regarding this issue. Just jump in and start somewhere. It is a battle that must be fought.

Comments