(5) Some interesting parts of everyday life…

There is no trash pick-up or sanitation service, so what’s left to do…burn it! You can imagine that any teen-age boy would be glad to help burn trash, who doesn't want an excuse to set things ablaze. They did quickly learn that bottle caps have to be removed or they will cause combustion and things will be air born.



Laundry is done the same way as dishes, in a plastic wash basin. I will tell you that it takes forever (at least several hours feels like forever). Since the permanent clothesline is not in, Floyd and Tyler set up a temporary one.

Of course, you can’t hang your under garments outside for all to see, so there’s this:

The most surprising for me came when I purchased eggs for the first time. Since I was not yet introduced to a local person to buy fresh eggs from, I picked them up at the place Robert took me. I bought 30 eggs which were in one of those little paper trays that is only a bottom (like the ones you get when you buy 2.5-5 dozen in the US, but they have no box around the outside). I got up front to pay, and the man started removing my eggs from the carton and putting them in a plastic bag. Apparently, at most places you don’t get the carton and at a few places you can have the carton for an additional charge.

Lucky me, I quickly found a solution. These lovely white plastic trays work great, hold 30 eggs, and are stackable!

Comments