(6) Some things that have come in handy already…

We knew for over a year that we were moving to Uganda, so our friends and family were also aware. During this time of living a more pioneer life style, some things come in handy that are worth special mention.
In 2013, we had announced our move just 6 weeks before my birthday. My mother got me a bread box as part of my gift. It is just like 2 that she has and it has already been necessary. Bread is not processed with a shelf life like it has in the US, so when I get bread, I need to protect to help it stay fresh for 2-3 days. This bread box does the trick!

One day during life group in 2014, we were preparing food and my friend Kari whipped out her veggie chopper. It doesn’t use any power, just a hand crank. You put your veggies in the bowl, put on the lid, and start cranking. The longer you crank, the smaller the bits get. I commented on how awesome it would be in Uganda because it uses no power. Less than a week later, she was in Allen Community Outreach’s resale shop and saw a chopper just like hers. She could not resist buying it for me and it has already been used. It saved me literally at least half an hour. I even had Troy in the kitchen cranking, saving me even more time. (Sorry, didn't get a pic)

The only furniture we had when we first moved in was our mattresses and our kitchen table & chairs. We got the table set up the first day, so we were able to sit around the table for meals. At our final life group gathering, my dear friends, Trudy and Kari, surprised us with a gift. They had picked some fabric and Kari had worked with her mom to sew us a special gift. It is a table runner and matching napkins. The extra special detail is that the table runner is the exact length of the table that we gathered around for our hours of studying, conversation, and meals. Every time I look at it, I am flooded with fond memories and it looks beautiful on my table!!!

Even when the table is covered in home school materials and random things, I see the bright colors peeking out.


Comments