A lesson from driving an ambulance...

I've had a desire to share this with you since the moment it was spoken to me, but there just hasn't been an opportunity. Right now, I'm taking the opportunity.

I've mentioned before my friend Harriet, who is involved in Life Saving Medical Clinic here in Uganda. Several weeks back we arrived at the hospital for something (at this point I don't remember if it was for the malaria, the typhoid, the infected wound, etc.) and Harriet was there. She is always bursting with energy, but this time she was even more pumped. After the customary greetings, she began to tell us about her day.

She had driven the ambulance with a patient in it for the first time. Now, if you're the least bit familiar with Ugandan roads, you know that every driver thinks they have the right of way and Uganda should be famous for round-a-bouts. Every major intersection is a round-a-bout and they are multi-laned with no dividing lines. Now, back to the ambulance. Harriet was explaining that in an ambulance you have the authority to do just about anything when you're lights are on. You can make your own traffic lane, go the wrong way on a one way street, and even go the opposite direction of traffic in a round-a-bout.

Her words here are what stuck with me. She said, "you have the full authority to do whatever you need, but you have to be bold enough to take the authority you have. It's kind of like being a Christian. You are not bound by the same rules. You are not subject to the authority on this earth. You have the full power and authority of Jesus Christ. You just have to be bold enough to act on the authority you have been given."

Wow! It has literally been weeks since Harriet said those words to me and she wasn't even trying to preach. We were just having normal conversation and this was a completely normal analogy for her. I find that every conversation with Harriet is more insightful and deeper than your average conversation. I don't think she even realized the magnitude of her words.

Am I that bold? Do I take the authority that I have been given through the redemption of Jesus Christ?

This analogy is so simple; we can all imagine the boldness with which an ambulance driver must move through traffic (here is Uganda it is even more extreme). If that driver is too nervous, or reluctant, or passive, the person being transported may not live.

Our spiritual boldness is equally important. If I am too nervous, or reluctant, or passive, the ramifications could be huge. A miracle of healing could be missed, another person might suffer physical pain or hunger or who knows what, and worse yet, someone might spend eternity separated from God because I failed to share with them the only name by which they can be saved!

I have taken it as a challenge since Harriet spoke those words.

How about you? Are you bold enough to take the authority that you have been given?

Comments

  1. Love this and thank you for sharing! We are keeping all of you lifted in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a powerful analogy. I love that and am totally writing it down to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment