An unexpected interruption

Things at the house have been very busy. The students return on May 24th for the 2nd term, so we're trying to get as much done as we can before they return. I admit, I'm a bit tired of living in a construction zone, but it's almost done. I'll try to post some photos and more details soon,but for now, I'll jus mention a few things.
We have running water. In fact, we even have hot water. Things are different here, so we have a small heater in the kitchen and a bigger one for the bathrooms.
The tile is finally complete.
The front and back doors have been repaired and now shut securely.
The tower is  completed, with doors and everything.
I have a washing machine!! That might be the biggest blessing for me personally. The amount of laundry that fits in one load takes me about 4 days to wash by hand.

So, we're very close to finishing the projects and now we're in the city until Friday morning. I, Tamra, have level 3 malaria. I had been fighting some aches, pains, and fatigue for about a week, but thought it was just from the work and normal stuff. Yesterday, I got much worse, having a fever and pain all over my body (similar to the flu). I went to bed for the final time at 8pm and woke up feeling much better. Unfortunately, the improvement only lasted a few hours. We came to the city for a few things and decided to stop at the clinic while in town. We were a bit shocked to learn that I'd have to stay for a few days for injections.
Floyd got me settled, and then went back home for the kids. We had left them home thinking it was just a quick trip into the city. He got hotel rooms at the place right next to the hospital.

Here in Uganda, a hospital is not like in the US. If you need to take meds, your family or friends have to bring you water to take it with. If you need a sponge bath to bring down your fever, your family has to provide the rag or sponge and the labor. If you need food, your family has to bring it to you. The hospital only provides the medicine and the necessary medical care.

So, today, this helped me out a little. The hospital doesn't really have any ventilation, so it gets very warm. They also have the most basic of beds. Fortunately, I'm now at the hotel with Floyd and the kids. There are several hours between rounds of injections, so I just have to be back at the hospital about 8:45 in the morning for my next round. That is great news because the bed here is so much more comfortable. Also, I'm at the stage of a fever where you are burning up and the hotel has a fan! I just have to be careful not to pull out the IV thing in my hand.

So, we just take everything in stride. We weren't expecting to be away from home this week, but it is what it is. A lot of the work can continue because it is on the exterior of the house. Anything else will just have to wait until Friday. ;)

Comments

  1. Hi Stanleys :) So glad you were in the city and are getting medicines. We miss you all very much and especially think of you on Sundays. We haven't written but will do a better job of that. Prayers to you all and hugs from here to there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment