Chika and Tezi

So, many of you know that we got two puppies a while back. In May they made 4 months old. They bring some amusement and everyone seems to have responded well to them. Little Edgar (Grace's 18 month old) even tries to say Chika's name. He calls out, "Kika." I'm pretty sure it's the only actual word I've heard him say.

Anyway, here are a few pics from the last month and then I'll tell you a funny story (or you can skip to the funny part).
Here they are while still pretty small. Tezi- left, Chika - right




 They love running around the compound, chasing each other, and generally entertaining whoever is watching.
You can see that they're getting bigger. This picture really doesn't do it justice. Tezi, left, is the bigger of the two. She is a lot like the dad, a full bled German Shephard, in looks, size, and in some ways behavior. Chika, right, is more like the mom, a general Ugandan mutt, in looks, size, etc.
They also enjoy chasing the neighbors chickens, which can be amusing, but won't be funny if they ever decide to catch one. Also, they can be a bit much to keep inside but we don't want them just venturing off completely on their own. So, we've been working on a fencing a section of our back yard. The fence actually gives many benefits, but a place for the dogs to safely remain is definitely one of the big ones. We had some nice gates made to close off the back section of the verandah and complete the fence. (I don't have a picture of that at this time, but I'll post one eventually.)

Last night was the first night that the fence and gates were completed. We wanted the dogs to stay outside to see how they'd do. Of course there was some whining, but that was expected. However, around 11pm, I was just about finished with my Bible study time when I started to hear a different sort of whining.

I went to the kitchen and turned on the back porch lights (thankfully, we had power). As I looked out the window I saw an odd sight. Tezi was squirming and whining. Here's why...


She got her head stuck. Long story short, I had to hold her head down and ears out of the way, while being careful to keep my hands out of the way, as Floyd used a hack saw to remove that piece of metal you see just behind her head. One he finally sawed through both sides, he had to knock it out with a sledge hammer, being careful not to knock the dog out as well.

I admit, the entire time, I just kept hearing one thing in my head. Do you recall the movie Annie? The "dumb dog" song kept playing in my head.

Sure enough, less than 3 minutes after we got her out, she stuck her head in another one of the openings. Fortunately, she got herself out that time, but the song was certainly playing louder in my head.


Comments