Mr. Floyd, we have a problem...

Sunday morning, it's barely 8am. I'm still in the bedroom getting ready for the day. Outside the window I can hear someone working away. Floyd passed through the room on the way to the bathroom. Moments later I hear, "Mr. Floyd, we have a problem."

This is said in a somewhat calm voice, so I'm not really sure if I should go look. After considering for a moment, I peak out the window. I see Henry standing next to a hole with a hoe in his hand. That was expected. Then I see the hole is now full of water. That part is not expected.

Sure enough, before he even had a chance to realize that the plumbing ran through that part of the ground, he had already completely split the water line. That's right. I haven't even cooked breakfast yet and we now have no running water.

The good news is that we've lived without running water before. We've lived without plumbing or electricity. Unfortunately, when we were living without running water, we had a bucket to fetch water. We had 5 jerry cans to carry the water. Now, we have no bucket and only one jerry can.

To add to the irony of the whole situation. Our reliable plumber had been on the property just about every day for the last month, but he left on Saturday to check on a project about 5 hours away. The good news is that it wouldn't be a big job. We just needed the specific tools that he owns. More good news, when Floyd called him, he said that he's be back in town by night because he was already done with what he was doing.

More irony...that afternoon he called to say he was at the police station. Why? He was reporting that his tools had been stolen from the job site.

The good news is that it all sounds bad and we could let it make us crazy. But why? Instead, I thank God for a day without water to remind me what a luxury water really is. Of course, I don't usually forget, but a reminder is always good just in case.

It was also an opportunity for Raegan and I to decide that going without electricity is a lot easier than going without water. We have gone most of the days for the last 2 months without electricity, but this Sunday it was on all day. But without water, we couldn't was dished, or wash our clothes, or flush a toilet, or even just wash our hands. Or rinse a spoon off before something dries on to it. Or make tea. And so on and so on.

It is amazing how easy it is to adjust. I think everyone would be surprised at themselves. Just a while ago I was standing in the house conversing with God and I totally surprised myself. I said, "you know Lord, it sure would be great to have electricity during the daytime just once or twice a week. It would allow me to get a few things done." Instantly, I finished that sentence and my mind was a little shocked. Really, you're asking God for electricity just one or two days a week? (Keep in mind, it had been coming on at night, just going out every morning.) Now, my old self in the US, I can't imagine having power only a day or two a week. But here, yep. Of course, having it every day would be just great. But once or twice a week is enough to manage what needs to be done. :0

Comments