an early morning, a stranger, and a song...

So, I'm exhausted as I type this because it's been a LONG day, but something happened early this morning that I immediately knew I wanted to put on this blog. One, because some of you will appreciate it like I did. Two, because I don't want to forget it.

Floyd and I got in the car to drive to Kapeeka early this morning because we have a lot of work going on and today was sort of the deadline on all of it. We needed 4 bags of cement and a tray of eggs. Not long after we left our property, we were passing by a slightly busy part of the village (it's the busiest part of the village, but 30 people would be a large crowd :) ) . A young man began waving his hand at us, and while waving always happens, we could recognize that this particularly wave was the signal asking us to stop the car.

We stopped and he approached, so I rolled my window down. He said that he needed a ride to Kapeeka. For me, I'm always the type to pick up a stranger or other random things. I don't know why but I've never really been afraid of that sort of thing. Floyd on the other hand would say that he's not afraid but he'd rather be safe than sorry. However, this time, Floyd knew that he had no way to say to no other than to flat out say that he wasn't willing.

First, Floyd said, "I don't know you," and the guy said, "yea, but I know you." That is the price you pay for being a foreigner living in a remote village. We are "The Muzungus" (the white people). After a moment's pause, Floyd agreed.

The guy got his bag and climbed into the back seat of the Beast. I made some small talk at first, just to be polite. I learned that his name is Moses Kiembe and he's staying with a friend in our village.

Now, the part that made this so memorable is coming up. Floyd was clearly a bit  nervous and, to his defense, keep in mind that he is the husband - the protector, so of course he's nervous to let a man into his car with his wife. Especially when he has to focus on driving the crazy dirt roads all the way to town and we are in the middle of nowhere. You hear stories of people getting attacked by someone they gave a ride to, although it is usually a boda boda driver, and it is 2 days before elections, which is a time of increased uncertainty.

So, after making small talk, I decided to turn on the radio. The song that came on was like a message from God. It wasn't even at the beginning, it came on at the main line of the song, so the first thing we here is a little instrumental and then, "fear is easy but love is hard."

I immediately looked at Floyd and the look on his face was priceless. I was so struck by the words and felt like God had put that message there at the exact moment it was needed. It would be easier to drive right by someone who needs a car. That would be normal anywhere, but imagine living in a place where you have one of the only vehicles in a significant radius. Giving someone a ride can save them a lot of money and a lot of time because the taxi's won't move until they are full and they hold 14 people! Then they stop in every village to pick up people and drop off people. In our neck of the woods, you don't find a taxi unless you call one to come and then you have to have a big group to fill it. Instead you have to pay even more money to a boda driver to take you to Kapeeka to catch a taxi from there. So, anyway, it takes me back to the point. Driving by is easier. Giving them a ride is risky. You have all the normal issues of picking up a stranger in any country, then you add that you don't speak the same language and you don't know all the cultural norms and you are perceived to be wealthy because of your skin color.

Needless to say, fear is easy but love is hard. God gave Floyd the perfect words at that moment. We made it to Kapeeka with no problem and dropped Moses off at the normal taxi meeting spot. If you're never heard this song, take a minute to listen to it. It is a wonderful message.


Comments

  1. I have always been the one to pick up a stranger or ask a homeless person to come to the house and do some work. I have never been afraid. We use to do a bread outreach and Jim and I got the worse place in town. We met this man who was living in his truck so we use to bring him food. Finally got him settled in an old motel where poor people could live. We got him a mucrowave and a card table. Picked up other things he needed. People would ask me if I was afraid to go to that place. Never was. I'd even park in the rear so I didn't have to park on the street. I was not fearful of the sitting out there drinking. I knew the Lord was with me and I knew Russo was there and they all thought I was his daughter. He would give me his check book to go and get him clothes. When he died we got a call from the hospital to see what we wanted to do with the body. He put me down as next of kin. This whole thing just showed me that doing Gods will will keep me safe. I need not fear

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment