Easter 2016

We had a lot of our boarding students here for Easter this year, which kept us busy. We watched all 4 parts of the Jesus of Nazareth tv movie, we played games, did a craft, and had a great feast. Here are a bunch of pictures and little narration.

A friend sent us this craft project for Easter, so I didn't have to come up with something. This project came with all the pieces and directions for making a pop-out card. I first did it with the oldest 7 girls and then they helped all the young girls do it. For the boys, I took a different approach. I had all the older boys go into the classroom and sit apart from each other. Then, I told all the young boys to go in and sit in an empty chair next to one of the older boys. Both methods worked out wonderfully and saved my sanity. The older kids did an excellent job of helping/instructing the younger ones.













When you open the card.
The outside/Front of the card


The boys barely finished in time for the lunch feast. It was great to serve all the kids. It was more difficult to get our Ugandan co-workers to let us serve them because they wanted to serve us. We compromised and said "ok, all the adults serve themselves." Of course, we still had to help each other out. :)






This is g-nut paste. G-nut is short for ground nut and they are peanuts. This sauce is very common and they can't really understand why none of the StanClan like it. It's just one of the things that none of us like. It is probably my most dis-liked food here and I had the privilege of serving it to everyone for Easter. :)

Everyone was so excited to get all their favorite foods and a soda!!!

Edgar certainly enjoys meal time. Floyd and I say that Edgar is like our first grandchild because he comes to play all the time, we get to spoil him, and then he goes home to mom. :)

This is matooke, cooked inside banana leaves to trap the steam. It is like a cooked banana, but the bananas are peeled and cooked when they are very firm and green.
 I was so surprised when it was my turn to get food. As I was about to get matooke, Merabu (the woman beside me in the next picture, who is the cook for the ministry) started calling out in Luganda to the man next to me. Come to find out, the ladies had remembered me saying that I like the way they cook matooke without banana leaves better than with the leaves. They had made a small pot of matooke without the leaves and hidden it under the serving table. He pulled it out and said, "this one is for you."

Merabu serves every meal, every day for the entire school, so we insisted that she be the first adult in the line and let everyone serve her.

Of course, you can't really understand the joy and excitement we had on Easter, but at least you've got a glimpse at it and you can enjoy all he smiles.

Comments