Demons (part 1)

I had originally gone back and forth on how to share the details of what has been going on for the last several weeks, but finally decided on Friday evening that I would share. Unfortunately, I hadn’t had a lot of time and the power was out most of the weekend, and I have one finger in a splint and plenty of work to finish this week, so I hadn’t gotten around to it since then. Now, today I know I have to share and just put it out there because we want people to join us in prayer.

Since the story has continued to build, this blog would be too long, so I've split it into 3 parts. When you get to the bottom, you can click on the link to part 2 and then part 3.

Let me just be clear up front. If you don’t believe in demons, evil spirits, spiritual warfare, or anything on that line, you will have a hard time with what I’m about to say. If you claim to believe the Bible and accept Christ as your savior, then I hate to break it to you, but demons are clearly talked about in the Bible. The disciples went out saving people, healing people, and casting out demons. If you don’t believe in the Bible, then you’re open to believing what you want, I guess, but I think you know where I stand. Read this true account of our last few weeks, consider what you know about me, and I’ll leave you to decide for yourself.

I’ll also let you know that this is not our first time to experience demonic presence, but I can’t say that I ever experienced it for sure in the US. That is not relevant to this story, but I just want you to know where I’m at in the beginning.

So, on March 19th, as I was sharing a brief, Biblical message of encouragement during a fellowship gathering with the students, I noticed a young girl in the front falling asleep. Of course that is not unusual, but I noticed that several girls around her seemed bothered by it. After the fellowship time was over, the girls started telling us that they couldn’t wake her up. We immediately began trying to wake her but nothing was working. I went to get the car and we drove her to the hospital. They gave her a stimulant injection to wake her. There was a delay but she suddenly took in a big gulp of air and was awake. For a few minutes, she still couldn’t move but was awake and crying. Shortly later she was fine but had no memory of anything since breakfast that morning. They kept her on an IV drip for a while and ran some tests. They found nothing. So, when she finished her IV drip, we went back to school. Nothing ever came of it and her family assured us nothing like this had happened before. We thought maybe her blood sugar had gotten too low from extra exertion or whatever and life went on.

Fast forward almost 3 weeks. Floyd and I drive to Kapeeka with 2 boys from the school. We’re going to pick up supplies and one of the oldest boys had asked Floyd to get him some new sandals. He’s as old as our children and from the Kapeeka area, so we had him and another boy go with us. We dropped them at the round-a-bout to get shoes and we headed to the hardware store. We told them to meet us back at the coke depot as soon as they found the shoes. Now, I’m sitting in the car while Floyd’s doing business in the hardware store and I notice a message on my phone.

It’s from Raegan and says, “I need you to call me immediately, it is literally life or death.”

I’m calling but no one is answering. I text saying that it’s just ringing. After several tries, she finally answers. She tells me that Tyler was cleaning a small wound on one of the boys when he suddenly had a problem. She said it’s almost like a seizure but it’s not. I tell Floyd, who doesn’t seem alarmed at all (I admit I was annoyed by his mediocre reaction, but it passed). He finally gets in the car and we are going to go back to the school. Of course, first we have to find the two boys we brought with us. Fortunately, as we go through the round-a-bout, I spot them. We drive close and tell them to hop in. Fortunately, they had already found some sandals.

We get to the property and pull up to the office because Raegan had told me on the phone that they carried the boy from our house to the office. We go in and it’s a bit hectic. They begin telling me it’s not medical, it’s a demon. Of course, I know that happens but in this environment, they are too quick to jump to that answer (interesting note that in America we immediately jump to medical and never consider spiritual causes). So, I begin asking questions. Finally, they have mostly convinced me. They explain that the demon had manifested completely. He laughed at them and told them that he wasn’t leaving; that they couldn’t get rid of him.

For the time he was just lying unconscious, but very quickly I saw more evidence as he was grinding his teeth and when you called the boy’s name, he told us that the boy wasn’t there. We prayed over him and he woke up. I wish I could describe it for you, but I don’t know how. It’s just that you suddenly knew he was back and then when you said his name, he answered. He was hungry and had a headache. But, less than 20 minutes later he was completely normal and back to being himself. We talked to the mom and she said that he had the problem last fall and went to doctors and hospitals in the capital. He had all kinds of tests and scans but everything was negative. They didn’t believe the problem was medical.

The next day we are going on as normal in the morning. At break time, all the kids go for porridge. When they went back to class, they found him there unconscious. This time, there were not any signs of anything. Just some bouts of rapid breathing and then completely calm as if he was asleep. We decided to take him to the hospital just in case. Before we got to our gate, he started making an odd face at me with his eyes open. I said the boy’s name and he just shook his head no. Floyd stopped the car, but he didn’t respond anymore, so we continued on. We went to the nearest clinic, where he woke up before they did anything. The doctor ran a few tests which all came back negative. The doctor wanted to treat him “clinically” for Typhoid. What??? No stomach problems, no complaints? Since when does typhoid start with passing out?

We did agree tentatively to the treatment. We’d let him give the first dose of meds, but that afternoon we’d drive him to the hospital with a lab so they could actually test for typhoid. We had to go there anyway because we had another student being treated for actual typhoid. They found that he had a small trace in his system, so he got his second dose of treatment. They said the passing out was probably a “family problem”.

Late that evening he passed out again. This time was just like the second time – completely unresponsive. We loaded in the car with the matron and drove to the hospital (not fun in the dark)! We carried him in and laid him on the table. Again, they did all sorts of tests and found nothing. He actually woke up very quickly after we got there. The doctor said he’d just keep him all night for observation. So, we talked it over with the matron and decided she’d stay with him and we’d come in the morning to bring breakfast and figure out the next step.

We got to the hospital before 9am. The boy had been there all night without a single problem. The doctor said that it was probably a “head problem.” Unfortunately, the boy has already had all sorts of scans and exams to show that there is no problem in his brain. He told us that there was nothing medically wrong, so if the boy passed out again, we should monitor him until he wakes up.

We loaded into the car to head home. Literally we pull up to the round-a-bout in Kapeeka and my phone rings. They are letting me know that the other girl (the one I told you about first) is now unconscious. We get back and the boy goes on with his day as normal. Based on the fact that they told us that nothing is wrong, we bring her to the house and lay her down. We decide to just wait and see if she wakes up. The crazy thing is that she doesn’t respond to pretty much anything. Floyd literally threw a cup of water in her face and she didn’t wake up. At one point, it was a little creepy (for lack of a better adjective). If you lifted her arm up, it would stay in the position that you put it in. The same with her legs. At one point, Floyd lifted both arms and then one leg and all three remained suspended in the air. We’re not medical people, so maybe that’s normal, but to us it was creepy.

Now, by 3pm she had not woken up and she’d been out since about 8:45am. I had to take the person back for their typhoid treatment, so I took her as well. They gave her the same stimulant injection, but this time it didn’t work. Then they took blood to test her blood sugar and put her on an IV drip. The blood sugar was normal. Again, they did other tests that all came back negative. After a few hours, she finally woke up. Again, she had no memory of anything and said she felt fine. They told us to take her back to school.

Side moment here: Let’s call her girl #1, since she was the first child. Last year she had an older sister that died. It was pretty late in the school year. The next day after going to the hospital she tells us that when she was asleep, her sister was there. That she and the sister just sat all day conversing. There were some details about the conversation, but they all run together now. Then finally the sister told her that it was time to go, so the sister told her to come back now and went back to her grave. Then she woke up.

Now, don’t you know the boy, let’s call him boy #1 (because he was the second one but first boy) passes out again at school that Monday. This time we just leave him to sleep and see what happens. After a short time, he woke up and was completely normal again. We discussed the parent coming to get him but decided that with only 3 weeks left of the term, he’d just stay to finish because the mom is certain it’s not a medical problem.   For part 2, read here.

Comments