First ever "slip & slide"

It has been so hot in the afternoons lately. Sometimes the rain finally blows in and breaks the heat, but more commonly it's just hot. Last Saturday (Oct 8, 2016) was one of those hot days. The kids had made do with random activities but several times they mentioned wanting a swimming pool. I explained that swimming pools are expensive but that I'd love to swim, too.

The memories of slip n slides came to my mind and I asked the kids if they'd ever done something like that. Although tarps are commonly used to cover materials, crops, and truck loads, they had never soaked one down to play on. I showed them a picture of my kids from camp back in July. The pictures looked fun, but they still weren't completely getting it. So, I set to work.

There was an old tarp in front of my house that I had just asked the boys to fold up today. It had several holes and lots of paint spots, but it could work. We got a hose hooked up to the spout on our water tank in the back yard. I told all the kids to put on some clothes that could get wet and changed my clothes as well.

Once we were ready to go, I realized that nobody knew how to "slip & slide", so I'd have to show them. Fortunately, there is no photo evidence of that. :) We had a blast for about an hour and then it was time to turn the water off.
Check out these smiles:









A few girls preferred to stay dry but still had a great time laughing with the others.





Comments