That one thing...

Have you ever heard someone talk about that one thing that breaks their heart? I don't know. Maybe it's not as common a phrase as I assume it is. But either way, I think you can understand it's meaning. The thing might be a social injustice, a health related issue (cancer, leukemia, etc.), a legal or political issue, or one of many things that just aren't coming to my mind at this moment. There's no rule or limit to what could be the thing that breaks your heart, but you know because you always react to it. It might keep you up at night, cause you to break down in tears, get your blood boiling in anger, or bring you to your knees.

For me, there's a been a few issues that are close to my heart for years now, but I haven't really been that vocal about them. The top two things are human trafficking and unreached people groups. Following closely behind because they're related to the first two are the foster/adoption systems and needs in the US and Bible translation. I educate myself about them, my husband and children have certainly heard about them, and I spend quite a bit of time in prayer about them, but I haven't been so public with my passion. I don't have a specific reason, but I just haven't.

Now, a few months ago I went to a women's event with my good friend Chris Phifer. One of the guest speakers at the event was Christine Caine. If you've never heard of her, the main detail in this post is that she and her husband are the co-founders of A21, an organization that combats human trafficking in several countries. During one of her speaking sessions, she shared a fact that was familiar to me, but not my friend Chris. This is the fact:

            "there are more slaves today than at any time in history."

My friend Chris was completely surprised. She looked at me and said, "is that true? Did you know that?" Unfortunately, I did already know that. I've known that for several years.

The current problem is that slavery is done in less obvious places. People generally accept that since it is illegal in many parts of the world, it must not be that common. However, it is common because it is extremely profitable and hidden from plain sight. The ease of moving from place to place is greater than ever, which adds to the problem as well.

I think I had always thought the current problem of human trafficking around the world was well known. I thought that people all knew how rampant it is, but for some reason just weren't concerned about it. Maybe they thought it was a problem somewhere else. Or maybe they just aren't sure how to help, so they do nothing. I just thought people knew. It's easy to make that assumption, but when I saw the surprise on my friend's face, I realized that she really didn't know the truth. If she didn't know, how many other people don't know?

For me, the issue of human trafficking around the world - right here in the US and everywhere else - weighs heavy on my heart. This is one reason that I try to shop fair trade. I don't buy new cell phones frequently or other things that are often made using slave labor. I follow several ministries that combat trafficking of all kinds - sex trafficking, forced labor, child labor, and debt bondage (aka involuntary servitude). I give money to support the work of people that are combating the issue in tangible ways. I pray earnestly for the enslaved, the perpetrators, and the rest of the world to realize that we must stand up against this horrible issue.

Now, recently Floyd and I shared that we'll be moving to Cambodia in early 2018. Although the opportunity came to us in an unexpected way, I am excited to actually be engaging in combating an issue that has distressed me for years. If you aren't very familiar with human trafficking in the modern times, I urge you to educate yourself. It happens right here in our communities and in communities all over the world, but we do not have to accept it.


If you're wondering where to start learning, you can do some simple Google searches. Also, look into Agape International Missions, A21, International Justice Mission, and Traffick 911. That should be enough options to get your started.

Comments