Update from our event

I’ve intended to do an update since our event because we’re sure that those who were there are wondering how it went. In fact, some of you that couldn’t make it are probably also wondering how it went. As you can imagine, the last two weeks have been a whirlwind of packing and last minute tasks to be ready for departure. (I typed this 10 days ago but didn't have Wi-Fi to post it until now.)

As far as the event, it was a huge success in my book. I don’t really like using the word success because it gives a certain connotation that doesn’t quite fit exactly what I mean, but at the same time, it works. Either way, I hope the thought comes across with this explanation.

When we were invited to host an event at Avalon Legacy Ranch, we were nervous because we didn’t have a lot of time to plan and we weren’t sure very many people would show up. But, I just felt like we should at least try. Our hope was to meet new people, make more people aware of some details on human trafficking, and share specifically about our ministry, AIM, and our new role in Cambodia.

So, it is with those intentions in mind that I can say it was a HUGE success. The venue had seating for 160 people and I was asking the Lord to just bring 100 people. We ended up almost filling the place. Over 150 people bought tickets and joined us for the night! Out of those 150 or so people, nearly 100 of them were people that we had never met! And, finally, we were able to share all the information that we wanted to and then close the night with a little relaxing improv comedy show.

Now, I’m sure you’re wondering about the financial side, since it was also a fundraiser. Our startup costs for Cambodia are nearly $20,000 when you total the one-time costs – airfare, setting up a rental place, paying for language school, updating/new immunizations, initial Visa costs, and purchasing our local transportation. In addition, we needed to raise some additional monthly support. The goal was $1500.

To help with the startup costs, we had one generous friend that offered to give up to $10,000 to match the funds that came in on the night of the event. If we could reach that full match, we would be fully funded in our startup costs.

It took a little time to get the final reports of what was given, but after the costs of the event were paid, we had about $12,000 in one-time gifts. With the match, that put us at $22,000! All of our startup costs were taken care of! (OF course, the Lord knew that there were a few things we didn’t even know to plan for, so that extra money was already there to cover them.)

On our monthly support, we had several new people join our Ropes Team for a total of $860 a month! So, not quite to our goal, but another huge blessing.

For the week leading up to the event and even until now, I feel like the Lord just poured out a blessing of astronomical size on us. He answered my specific prayers and then did even more than I asked or imagined, just as scripture says He does.

Thank you to everyone who attended. Everyone who brought friends. Everyone who prayed over the event. Everyone who continues to support us along this crazy journey.

I wanted to write thank you notes before we left the country, but as you can imagine, I totally ran out of time. You’ve surely noticed that I always under estimate how much time I actually have and underestimate how long it will take to do everything on my list. I pray that you know that nothing goes unnoticed and even while I’m running around taking care of “the list”, I’m thanking the Lord for each of you and praying for His blessings upon you.

Comments