buying meat...

I could probably get meat on the side of the road like I did back in Uganda, but I'm lucky enough to have a few other options close to my house. My favorite place to shop is a giant place called Makro. They are a Thai company that opened in Cambodia at the end of 2017. It just so happens that they're a short drive from my house and the opposite way of town, so no traffic!

In general, it's just a regular place and nothing to interest you. But, there's one thing I thought you'd like a glimpse of - buying meat. Basically, you just go to whichever type of meat you want and scoop it up for yourself. Then you get it weighed and go about your shopping.

Chicken quarters, anyone? Or how about just the legs???

If you're really into not wasting anything, how about the feet? You can even buy the cow's leg with the hoof and all (I spared you from that picture). :)

here's some cuts of pork.
So, you get the idea. I actually like that I can get what I need and not have to buy packages that are already predetermined sizes. Like, maybe I want 0.7 kg, instead of 0.5 or 1 kg. It is convenient. The bad thing is that you have to be pretty good at estimating how much stuff weighs, especially things like ground beef. If you're buying chicken breast, you can just count, but it's not so easy with ground meat. I'm getting pretty good at it, but fortunately, we eat more chicken breast than any other type of meat.

Comments

  1. I agree that this makes sense but could you see that at Kroger! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. People may not be able to handle it. Perhaps if it's just what you were used to. For me, it works great. But, if I had come straight here and not lived in the village in Uganda, I might feel differently. Obviously, buying meat cut off the carcass with a machete helped prepare me for a lot of new things.

      Delete

Post a Comment