stranded on the road in Cambo...

Today, I was driving my little moto home from language school just like I do everyday. I was about 2/3 of the way home when my trip came to an abrupt halt. I was going along a main road at about 40-50 kph and suddenly felt something weird. I couldn't really place it, but I knew something had just happened. The bike was still moving because I had a lot of momentum. I managed to get to the side of the road and stop right before entering an intersection. At that point, I realized the engine was no longer on. I knew I had plenty of gas because I could see the gauge and I just put gas in 2 days before.

I tried starting the engine and it revved right up. I pulled the throttle and the engine revved but there was no movement. I looked around at everything I could think of and saw nothing wrong. I tried a few times more but nothing happened. No matter how much gas I gave it or what I changed, the little moto was not moving.

I got off and pushed it to a safer location, but there wasn't even a coffee shop or restaurant in site (this is quite impressive because they are everywhere!). I pushed to a spot that was pretty empty and took off all my gear. I called Floyd first just to let him know where I was and then I called the guy that I rent the moto from.

Fortunately, Floyd was home for lunch and didn't have anything set on his schedule. He brought the car to come find me. The guy I rent the moto from asked if I would please stay with the moto and he'd send his brother (the mechanic) to find me.

About 15-20 minutes later, Floyd arrived. That was nice because I could put my helmet, backpack, etc. in the car. It took a few phone calls to get our location, but once the mechanic was on the right track, we were an easy target to spot. Finally another 30-35 minutes later, he arrived with a friend.

He realized that it would not be something he could figure out on the spot. Since Floyd was there, the owner asked if I would mind him just taking it to the shop and delivering back to my house when it was fixed. Of course I didn't mind at all.

But then, Floyd and I wondered how in the world he'd get it home. This is where the story gets a bit amusing. It was a little scary but also amusing. First, the mechanic got on the moto and pushed it with his foot. He kept the smile the entire time.

He was asking the friend for help, but the friend was not managing well. I think he is a new guy in this situation. They had to switch places.

Now the next part you might not believe if I told you, so I've added a video.
Yes, he literally pushed the moto with his hand using the power of the other moto to get it going while the friend steered. They were going pretty slow, but it definitely did not seem safe (the slow speed probably made it less safe). :)

Don't worry. They made it where they were going. Only a couple hours later they arrived at the house to drop off the repaired moto. He put it on it's stand to show me that it was fine. Apparently a valve disconnected while I was driving.

I got a little bit of sun and lunch was delayed an hour or so, but it was a relatively easy inconvenience. :)

Comments