A not so fun surprise, but still smiling...

If you're on Facebook, you've probably seen posts about the recent flooding here in Phnom Penh. Of course, it's a common thin during rainy season, but I'm told this isn't actually rainy season yet. :/

To give you a few glimpses, I've loaded some videos here but suffice it to say that the streets flood when it pours for an hour or more. If it goes for 2 or more hours, it can get as high as waist deep in some parts of the city. I did not share all of these videos on FB, but also this is the first I'm getting a chance to share about yesterday's big surprise. :)

Since we moved in during dry season, we're just now finding out how it affects our house. Troy and I were surprised on Monday and Tuesday when we had a good flood in our driveway, but it didn't pass the first step on our front entrance.


I have driven my moto a few times during the pouring rain, but I haven't had to really drive through any real flood yet. On Wednesday, I finally had to go out in the car and found a street that was still pretty flooded, especially at some crossroads.


It's amazing how dry it is by morning.
And this picture is just too funny. As we went to open the trunk of the car, Troy found a pair of his underwear that had washed off the drying rack. :) 


But the biggest surprise of all came on Thursday. You may recall that Tyler (our youngest) in in America doing some volunteer work for the entire summer. He's been gone for 7 weeks now. His bedroom is on the 3rd floor on the opposite side from Troy's. We don't have any need to go in there, but on Thursday I opened the door for the second time in the 7 weeks.

A sort of glimmer on the floor caught my eye and I quickly realized it was water. As I entered the room I nearly slipped just as I realized that there was standing water over a portion of the room. Oddly enough, everything else was completely dry. There was even dust on the floor. It really made no sense.
The only thing that was a little messy was that his soccer bag was on the floor. Fortunatley, only his shin guards were in it (that's what you see in the video). The bag had some spots where it was touching the floor, but we'll see how that looks after washing.
I wasn't exactly sure what method I was going to use to get the water up, but when I told Floyd over the phone, he reminded me that we have a squeegee. That worked perfectly because all bathrooms have drains in the floor in the house. All I had to do was squeegee the water into the bathroom toward the drain. Here I am sweating it out in my "functional workout" for the day. :) Yes, I still love the rain, too!

My conclusion is that his balcony flooded because the water could not drain fast enough, so the water back in under the door. Since it was a few days before I found the room, everything else had dried, but the water was standing in the lowest lying part of the room (nothing is really level). :)

I talked to at least one other person who had mentioned a flooded room and he said that it was the balcony, so I took that as confirmation that my deductive reasoning was correct.

Comments