a fun experience (should I change careers???)

A couple weeks ago, someone in my language class asked me, "have you ever been told that you have a great voice?"

I said, "I guess not, but thanks."

He proceeded to explain to me more about his work and a project they're working on. They provide online resources to churches and organizations around the world to support their staff/missionaries. The idea is to use technology to make it easier to prepare and care for those people. Their online classes are usually about 40 minutes to 1 hour long.

In order to assist people in finding classes that would be relevant to them or to get people interested, they're currently making video segments of 60-90 seconds in length that are sort of "teasers" to share about the full courses. They've made about 20 of these short segments, but they didn't want to use digital voices. He was asking if I'd be willing to volunteer as a voice artist for some of their segments.

They were totally willing to work around my schedule, so of course I was glad to help out. Especially since I think the work they are doing is excellent and of great use to missionaries like myself. So, they sent me scripts for 3 different videos that they wanted me to narrate and we went to the studio this afternoon.

It was a lot of fun and I met a Christian producer that has a studio here in Phnom Penh.

We recorded all 3 scripts with me using numeric codes to designate different segments. Of course, if I made a mistake, I'd just repeat the code and re-do that segment. And, if they heard an issue they spoke to me through the mic to re-do.
After recording, we sat down and listened to everything. I made notes on the script of anywhere that I made an error, maybe not speaking clearly or pronouncing a word incorrectly, etc. Once we went through all of them, I re-recorded the few parts that had errors. It was funny to see that I made a few errors in the first one and it improved every time. By the last one, we didn't have anything that needed a re-do.
Here's a little clip of the recording.

Afterword, they asked me if I'd ever done something like this before. I told them that I did record a few PSA's for a radio station one time in high school and that I have always enjoyed reading books aloud to children. The producer said, "no wonder you sounded like a professional." I took that as a complement. :)

Comments