What exactly is a "Monday"?

Normally, I don't really feel like Monday is a bad thing, but sometimes you have one of those days that definitely fits the sentiment. Today was a "Monday", as people usually mean by the phrase.

I could not fall asleep last night, which is a not a common problem for me, and it definitely added to the Monday-ness of the day. It started out with being woken up early and my normal routine not being in place. Floyd and 2 of his colleagues needed to get to the airport but it is difficult to get a passapp at that time (similar to Uber for my American friends), and even more difficult for 3 people to get one from 3 different places that are near to each other. So, Floyd asked me to just drive the car to pick up the others and drop them all off. That went very smooth, it just meant that my day was not in routine and I had to miss my morning duty.

Now, the day continued by me feeling exhausting and finding that the boys had both slept through their alarm. Before I could head for work, I woke them up to get started on their day. Then I headed out on my moto. I realized that my moto was near empty, so I needed fuel. That wasn't a big deal, but just a little stop on the way to add to my late arrival.

Now, by the time I got barely half way, I just had a feeling that something wasn't right on my moto. It was like the front tire was not right. I had noticed something odd on the main road just outside our house, but thought it was the numerous cracks in the road. By the time I made my second main turn, I knew something was wrong. Basically, it was like the front tire was fish tailing, if you can imagine that.

Once I got past the turn, I pulled to the side of the road to stand up and look at the front. Sure enough, the front tire was very low. It continued to lose air and the fish tailing got proportionately worse. It's like an inverse relationship - as the air decreases, the fish tailing increases. I had to drive slowly to maintain to control and keep my eye out for a tire shop.

I finally came to the first tire shop and had to wait for him to finish changing a tire. Only after I waited, did he come to tell me that he didn't have any tires for motos, only the big tires for large trucks. He did graciously put some air in my tire for the equivalent of a few cents. That air improved the fish tailing for a little while. I came to the next shop, where a woman told me that they also had nothing to help me. I literally passed so many shops that had tires but they were either bicycle tires or vehicle/truck tires. Finally, after passing my turn off for work and going to a shop that fixed my rear tire months ago, I got a repair. Since I wasn't carrying my wallet, I was a little nervous about the cost. I don't usually carry much money, just a few small bills and a $10 bill for just in case. Fortunately, my repair was just under $4.

I finally made it to work, just a little extra hot and sweaty.

Now, fast forward through lunch and two meetings (not in that order), and I needed to leave early because my office mates and I realized that we needed two items from the store for our field trip coming up on Thursday. I live the closest to the store and I have a car, so it made sense for me to do it. Unfortunately, I had to go to 3 different stores to find one item and I ran out of time to get the other item. I'll have to do that tomorrow afternoon. I did manage to get the one that we definitely needed by tomorrow.

On my way home, I passed this vehicle, whose driver was obviously having more of a Monday than I was. I'm not sure how this happens, but it was quite the feat. I took this photo going back from my house toward the store (I drove home to switch from my moto to my car because parking where I was going is much easier in a car). From the other side, you would see that this car was on top of the concrete block attached the end of the large pole that made the lovely indention on the front. The pole literally came out of the ground and the back end of the car was suspended in the air resting on top of the concrete end.  Lots of people were standing around taking photos and videos.


Now, I finally made it home and managed to cook dinner before my language lesson, but just barely. I didn't eat the food, but the boys did. I had to wait until after language.

And, to finish off my Monday, after language lessons and eating my dinner, I walked into our home office shortly before 8pm. As I neared my desk, I noticed dry erase markers spread out on the floor. As I thought, "who knocked down my markers?", my eyes finally adjusted to notice that my dry erase board had fallen off the wall. How did that happen? Who knows? But it was the perfect cap to my Monday.

As I mentioned, I'm not one to think any day is worse than the next but today was definitely a "Monday". If you managed to read this far, here's hoping that your day did not have any of these random detours or, if it did, here's hoping you made the best of it and found the humor in the midst of the randomness.

Comments