One adventure ends, a new adventure begins...

2020 is starting out with one major change for me - a new role in Cambodia.
Before I I get into what's new, I'd like to give a brief explanation on how it came to be.

I came to Cambodia to work at AIM School as a mentor teacher. I was assigned to mentor the teachers of 4th-6th grade and the Special Education teachers. It had been said that the mentor position would most likely always be held by a westerner due to the lack of training and resources in Cambodia. I personally wasn't sure about this assumption, but I had no actual experience yet.

Within 2 months of starting full time, I strongly felt that my position needed to be held by a local person as soon as possible. I realized that the teachers were very talented, very resourceful, and excellent students. If they receive training on a topic or new ideas are shared with them, they will implement them, make changes, and seek input from each other to continually improve. For this reason, the teachers didn't need surface level advice and suggestions; the mentor meetings needed to go to deeper levels. Language and cultural barriers made it difficult to go very deep.

As I led these meetings with a translator or with the teachers and myself doing our best to work through our language gaps, I had a further realization. The people that were translating for me had great ideas. They were respected by their peers to communicate on their behalf and to sit in the meetings no matter how difficult the topic being discussed. If they can be in the meeting to translate and they have the professional experience to add to the conversation and the personal characteristics to be respected, why don't they have the job of mentor? Why do I need to be there?

I completely realize that someone from a foreign country would bring different views and other perspectives that add value, but that isn't a necessity. It's just an added benefit for any group that has the opportunity to learn from other cultures. So, having me there meant I could certainly add to the conversation, but my point is that it wasn't necessary and in some ways, it hindered progress.

Within a few months, I identified 2 people that would be suited for my position. One person had already expressed the desire to be a mentor and was working toward a leadership role. The other person was well respected by her peers and was a natural leader, but hadn't really expressed to promote higher than a teacher. She's a natural with the kids and teaching is her passion.

I began the process of transitioning both of them. For the first one, it was a matter of aligning his professional goals for the year with the specific things that he needed to focus on to be ready for a promotion to Mentor Teacher. For the other, it was affirming her natural gifts and helping her see the natural next step of helping other teachers.

As of September 1st, both people were promoted to their new position. One becoming Mentor Teacher and the other becoming Special Education Coordinator. I had about 6 weeks still in Cambodia to help them in their new roles before I left for  my visit to America at the end of October. Now that I'm back in Cambodia, I've reached out to both of them and they're doing great!

Did I mention that they're married? 😉 They are a power couple at work, at home, and in the church. I am blessed to know them both and honored to have worked with them for the last 18 months!

In the meantime, I was not looking to leave AIM School just because they were being promoted. I knew that my role would have to change but I loved working with such an amazing team. While I wasn't planning to leave the school, I was open to whatever God had next for me. I'm still helping at the school with some computer based stuff (implementing a software program to take attendance and manage school fees electronically), but what will be my new position is still being worked out.

The biggest conversation is about me possibly managing/teaching in a culinary training program.
There is a culinary program in California that serves at risk youth. Their goal is to help the youth begin a new life in the culinary field. Their program includes the culinary training but also provides life skill training (ie: team work, timeliness, perseverance, overcoming your past, work ethic, etc.). This program sought to partner with AIM to do a similar program here in Cambodia. The goal is to provide training and empowerment for our survivors that are interested in a job in the culinary industry.

The organization from California had already built the facility and AIM opened the location here in Cambodia in mid-2018. Due to unfortunate circumstances, the program remained open for less than a year. Until someone was found to run the program and teach the students, it would remain closed.

After a lot of conversation, prayer, and research, I agreed to take on this challenge. Ideally, God would provide a chef to actually teach the culinary skills and I would teach the necessary language training, functional math skills, and life skills that the girls would need to be successful in the industry. Nothing is set in stone, but I've given my commitment to go forward with re-opening the training center in 2020 if it all works out.

The organization in California is revamping their program, so we are waiting to see what their plan looks like. Once their ready to move forward, we'll see how that affects me. If it is God's plan for me to continue on this path, it will work out. If not, he'll show me what's next.

In the meantime, I'm still helping with the software roll out at AIM School.
Back in July on my first visit to the training kitchen and wearing a Chef's coat for the first time.
I can honestly say I never saw this coming. :) 


Comments