a little stretching is good, right?

Have you ever experienced a situation where you felt that the Lord gave you very clear instructions and when you followed them, the outcome was nothing like you expected? More specifically, you followed the instructions and the door closed?

Here's an example:
When we first decided to go into full-time mission work, the idea of fundraising was really hard for me. I totally believe that the work of missionaries is completely worthy of support and that we're all called to support that work. I have no doubt in my mind that it is an honor, a privilege, and even an obligation to give to work outside of ourselves. Even beyond supporting mission trips or volunteer projects of our own children or relatives. Yes, we should support those things, but we should also look beyond those things (if your close relative is a full time missionary and you feel called to put all of your financial support into that, that's different - I'm meaning that the occasional gifts to short term projects of our family members should not be the extent of our support in God's work).

It wasn't a matter of not believing in the work. I just don't like asking for anything. I didn't even like to participate when my kids had fundraisers and such at school. It just don't like it.

Anyway, I was trying to prepare myself to step out of my comfort zone, which I'd had to do a little bit for our short term missions, but this was a new level.

There was a lady that came to my mind and I very clearly felt that God was telling me to call her. I actually barely knew her. Really, Floyd knows her husband and we briefly attended the same church, but that was the extent of our connection. I am not even sure how few times I had even spoke to her or how I had her phone number. Maybe Floyd gave me the number? I don't know. I just knew that God was telling me to call her about the possibility of supporting our mission work.

So, I made the call. I told her that I felt that God told me to call her. She wasn't exactly friendly, nor was she rude or anything. She did seem to question if God really told me that because she didn't feel like God had spoken to her about it at all. Now I know that people use the phrase "God told me" way too flippantly, but I am not one of those people. She just didn't know me well enough to know that about me. She was perfectly cordial. I don't even remember what exactly she said but they did not join our support team or even sit down with us to consider it.

But right away, I had an equally clear understanding of why God wanted me to call her. I mean, I don't know why he chose her, but I know how that experience benefited me. I hung up the phone and nothing else happened. There were no negative results. It was a clear experience of what happens when you ask for something and someone says no. Nothing happens. You just move on.

I needed that experience to help me overcome my fear. I still don't like asking for support. I still go into those conversations with anxiety and leave them to Floyd as much as possible. BUT whenever I start to back out of anything, I remember that phone call. It's been over 5 years people. It lasted less than 2 minutes, maybe less than 1 minute and it was years ago, but I remember it so clearly.

Now, it even applies to other things that God directs me to do. Sometimes, I feel like he tells me to do something just to grow my faith and my courage. Sometimes I say yes to something even though I know it will be a source of stretching and growth, but I say yes anyway. Then it doesn't even come to fruition. But I said yes, so I have no regrets.

Even now, I don't have any fancy words to close this message and I don't know why I suddenly decided to share this story, but if it benefits you, that's good enough reason. If you feel God nudging you to do something, just grit your teeth and get it done. It will benefit you even if it's not in the way you expect.


Comments